Have I finally killed my motherboard?

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
ian_r
New visitors - please read the rules.

Earlier in the week I attempted to flash my bios as my new DVD writer was not working but this failed miserably due to me trying to use a crappy windows flashing tool.

Managed to re-flash the Bios using Uniflash and then tried to correctly update the bios using the reccommended Gigabyte flash554.exe tool. This looked to have worked but now when I try to bott the PC the monitor switches itself off staright away and the CD drive just flashes at me. I am not hearing any beeps at all. I have tried to reflash using Uniflash but the floppy is not being read.

I have also tried to reset the CMOS by use of jumpers but this has done nothing.

Have I now killed the motherboard or does anyone have any advise on how I can recover it?

Many thanks, Ian
ian_r

Sorry to reply so soon to my own post - might be of use if I detail my system:

Gigabyte GA-8STXC Mobo (Award Bios)
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
256 MB RAM
80GB HD
Windows XP

Ta
sulbert
Master Flasher

Does the board have a soldered BIOS chip?
ian_r

I don't think so but I'm no expert on these things.
sulbert
Master Flasher

Second issue - didn't find any motherboard named GA-8STXC from Gigabyte's website. Could you please recheck the motherboard model number?
ian_r

That is the correct motherboard - I believe Gigabyte no longer support it hence no mention of it on their site. The bios upgrade I obtained came from www.fujitsu-siemens.com as it is a Fujitsu PC (Scaleo).
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/ser ... txc_uk.pdf

its an OEM board thats why its not showing on gigabyte's website
Compaq-Fu Master
sulbert
Master Flasher

Oh... I assumed that when somebody is talking about Gigabyte boards he means retail Gigabyte boards.
Do SiS chipsets for Intel processors use "standard" flash chips like their chipsets for AMD processors?
If yes, it would be possile to try to activate the boot block BIOS by generating a BIOS checksum error.
ian_r

As the floppy drive is not being recognised or responding is there anything I can do to fix the bios other than buy a new motherboard?

I'm reluctant to try removing the chip and reflashing it in another machine as my track record is pretty dire in flashing bios.
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

well if you dont feel worthy enough to fiddle with the BIOS chip you can try and see if a local computer shop will fix it, or buy a new board.
Compaq-Fu Master