40GB: ATC-5200 VER:1.0 08, MVP3-586B-W87-W87-ATC-5200C-HH

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
neobuck
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello all,

I'm building a system with an A-Trend ATC-5200 motherboard, trying to get it to see the 40GB Western Digital hard drive i just got at a computer show... it's running an AMD K6 233 processor.... i flashed the bios from ver:1.0 04 up to ver:1.0 08 at the suggestion of a tech who works for the folks who sold me the drive to no avail.... i initially got a master disk boot failure when starting up the drive until i did some research and realized that the old 40 pin ide cable i was using needed to be upgraded to an 80 pin cable.... then at that point the error message disappeared, and the drive was only listed as 'none'... i also have a toshiba dvd rom installed, which the system does recognize.... and i have switched hard drives and cables to eliminate as many other causes as possible for the failure to read the hard drive.... the other hard drives are recognized..... any help with this will be greatly appreciated....

Thx

Neobuck
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

If the WD drive is single on the cable, it must be jumpered as single, not master.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
neobuck

Hi Rainbow,

Yes, I have removed the jumper altogether from the WD hard drive ...
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

You also don't need the 80-pin cable (I doubt that the chipset does support more than UDMA/33). Does the drive work in another computer?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
neobuck

Ok, I was up all night with this thing, i took out the 40gig and put in a 4gig, installed xp then took it out, swapped it for the 40 and it was recognized!!! Yayy!!! but then, after the initial install, on booting up got this error mssg DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, further down the error mssg was advised to DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS, (like), CACHING OR SHADOW......... any ideas on this one?.... sheesh! just when i thought i'd gotten away, it keeps pulling me right back in!!!