DFI G586IPC Rev. D support ATA / UATA 100 above

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
janvier
New visitors - please read the rules.

Is there any update BIOS for DFI G586IPC Rev. D with bios string 07/31/98 - i430HX - 2A59FD4GC - 00 that can support ATA / UATA 100 or above? I have Seagate Barracuda 40 GB that support this technology but not the motherboard, is it possible? Thanks
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Are you looking for a HD capacity upgrade or a HD speed upgrade?

The HD speed is fixed for the i430HX (hardware limitation), but you can get the BIOS patched for HD size here by one of the associates, if DFI doesn't offer a more recent one than you already have.

BiosMan can also do the HD patching (see my signature below) as well as some other modifications, if you are so inclined.
janvier

Before, the old motherboard only support 8 GB and Nick help me with BIOS patched and the old motherboard can detect the 40 GB Seagate Barracuda; so you mean that i430HX cannot support like DMA/33 or above like DMA/133? how about the S.M.A.R.T technology? The Barracuda support for those technologies; so any BIOS patched for this or nothing can do? Thanks
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Nope...the chipset is limited to PIO Mode 4/DMA Mode 2 (16.6MB/S). If you want to go faster, you'll have to get an add-in controller card.

As for S.M.A.R.T. Technology, I've asked the same question...can anyone else respond to that???

Go download yourself a copy of HDTach ( http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/in ... est=HdTach ) so you can test your system and see how it is really performing.

On your computer, the Barracuda should report back with an Average Read Speed of about 15Mbps.

My Maxtor Diamond Max VL 40 (40GB, 5400 RPM, 2MB cache, ATA100 capable) posts this number on my i430VX-based DFI (both chipsets use the same Southbridge, 82371SB).

You can try running HDTach on a friends machine (with a similar HD and a "fast" controller), or test your drive on his machine, to see if the $$$/speed increase is worth it to you.

Also remember that just because a drive is ATA100 capable, doesn't mean it will transfer data at that speed, as HDTach will clearly show.

Good Luck!!
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

You can use SMART on any IDE controller - use any SMART tool for Windows or free smartctl for Linux.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I've been told by one of suppliers for computer parts that S.M.A.R.T. (at least as far as the BIOS versions offer) is not always that accurate (I cannot remember the exact quote), but my personal experiences where S.M.A.R.T. has reported a problem so far contradict this advise. I have found it to be accurate to the extent where there is a corruption problem or hard disk failure when an error is reported, but have not found it to report an error when there is a properly working physical disk with a clean data content.

Although I believe S.M.A.R.T. is only supposed to detected physically faulty hard disk hardware failure, the above has been my experience and at present I trust it according to my experience with the technology.

Depending on the BIOS and mainboard age and type, S.M.A.R.T. may not be available in all BIOSs. In others, such as with the board I am using, I have not seen a S.M.A.R.T. option in the BIOS but know that it is an automatic feature as I have experienced S.M.A.R.T. error messages with that board.
janvier

I think the best is just to accept what the hardware has (the old motherboard) even though I have high speed drive and new technology on it, I thought is possible with BIOS patch; thanks for the reply and response from you guys, I really appreciate to hear from the experts; Thanks a lot
KachiWachi
The New Guy

You're welcome janvier :-) !!

My question for the others it do you need S.M.A.R.T. features in the BIOS to be able to use S.M.A.R.T. features in Windows (or Linux)?

I already know that for Win98(SE), you need to move smartvsd.vxd into the Windows\System\IOSubSys folder so that any S.M.A.R.T. aware application can utilize the feature...
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

KachiWachi wrote:My question for the others it do you need S.M.A.R.T. features in the BIOS to be able to use S.M.A.R.T. features in Windows (or Linux)?
No. The "SMART support" in BIOS means that the BIOS will check SMART status of each drive during POST and will report a failing drive.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

KachiWachi wrote:
My question for the others it do you need S.M.A.R.T. features in the BIOS to be able to use S.M.A.R.T. features in Windows (or Linux)?

Rainbow wrote:
No. The "SMART support" in BIOS means that the BIOS will check SMART status of each drive during POST and will report a failing drive.
If I understand correctly, and already suspected, Rainbow is basically saying that the BIOS is just one means by which S.M.A.R.T. checking technology can be implemented.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

So then it might be possible to add a S.M.A.R.T "module" to any BIOS, assuming you have the room to do so?

If I get what Rainbow and Ritchie are saying, then a S.M.A.R.T BIOS will check and display any error messages at boot time, while a Windows/Linux "S.M.A.R.T Aware" application can do so while the system is up and running...correct??

I know AIDA32 can display the S.M.A.R.T data...are there any other Windows Control Panel-type app's that can be run...like in a tray...that can create a "pop-up" message if an error is detected while the system is running?

Will a "S.M.A.R.T Aware" BIOS create such a message as well with the system in operation, or just at boot time?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

KachiWachi wrote:Will a "S.M.A.R.T Aware" BIOS create such a message as well with the system in operation, or just at boot time?
Only during POST. This is OK for a notebook or desktop PC. On a server, you need something that checks the status periodically - e.g. smartd for Linux. For Windows, use Google http://www.google.com/search?q=hdd+smar ... ty+windows
-Jk-
BIOS Newbie

I found this one:

http://www.roko.goe.net/ftp/utilities/w ... MART-Tool/

Seems like a nice SMART utility to me. I'm gonna install it on my server. :)
KachiWachi
The New Guy

That's what I thought Rainbow.

So then how about "importing" a BIOS module...or are most integrated into BIOS itself?

I tend to leave my system up all the time, so a "continuous monitor" type application might be useful to have, even thought I do have to reboot every so often...