40GB: 07/06/98-i430TX-2A59IB3IC-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Falon
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm trying to install a old 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax D540X-4D (model: 4D040H2) into an even older computer running Award Bios v4.51PG.

The most recent bios update I found for the BCM SQ575 was the A06 version on the manufacturer's website. I flashed it to the Bios successfully but the computer still hangs during HD auto-detect.

If someone can send me the patched bios for large HDD support I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jarred
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Patched BIOS sent.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
parad0x

I have the same Mother board string but I am using a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40GB (Model: 6E040L0)

Which BIOS update would work for me?

Thanks.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Maybe you could email Falon and ask whether Rainbow's patch worked ? When we get confirmation, Rainbow posts the fixed and tested BIOSes at the link in his signature but no confirmation=no post.
Falon

:oops: Sorry for not reporting back sooner, the patch worked fine. I didn't have any problems.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
guest22

I had the same issue as user Falon in which the PC would hang
during HDD auto-detect even after I flushed the BIOS using the
manufacturer's BIOS rev A06 from its website. I proceeded to upgrade
the BIOS on BCM SQ575 ver F02 with the patch you posted for this motherboard at your website http://wims.rainbow-software.org.

The PC still hangs and I can only think is because the hard drive is 120GB. Has this patch been tested with such big drives? My other drives are 3GB and they work fine.

The BIOS currently shown is A06.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I don't know how large the BIOS has been patched for but there should be some way you can get it to detect. Try the following:

1) Check if there is a 32GB limiting jumper, and remove or set this correctly as per required by the drive manufacturer so as to allow the full size to be recognised. If I read these Wim's BIOS forums correctly, having the jumper set to limit to 32GB can confuse some BIOSs and cause the drive not to be detected at all instead of only detected as 32GB.

2) Try the other jumpers such as for Master, Cable Select, etc. I find some boards might work with a drive set to Master whereas another board cabled the same way might not detect the same drive on master but will work on Cable Select, for example. I think this varies more with older boards and I think between relatively new boards the acceptance will be more consistent.

Don't give up yet guest22 - I don't see any real reason why you should not be able to get it to work if you persist.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

It looks like Rainbow's BIOS has been patched for up to 128GB (from the post list), however, that doesn't mean it was ever tried at that level. We do know that Falcon had no trouble at 40GB.

There usually is a change to the BIOS ID Message line stating that the version was patched...do you see that message when you first boot up??
guest22

I tried different jumper settings as per Ritchie....

Master, Cable Select, Slave still hang at HDD auto-detect. Actually, keeping the cap limit jumper as indicated on the label on this Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB ATA 133 HDD lets the drive be recognized at 33560MB... not even 64GB. I also tried a WD Caviar 120GB, same result.

I flushed the BIOS using Uniflash;

Flash BIOS Image Including BootBlock
Proceed Y/N... Y
veryfing data... (message)
success.... (message)
quit... (exit Uniflash)
Reboot... and

No message for BIOS modified appears whe I first boot.... is this bad?

Using BIOS Agent I pulled the following data.

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 1.9
Program: Unicore Chip Detect v0.72 2000.03.10
BIOS Date: 07/06/98
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 07/06/98-i430TX-2A59IB3IC-00
BIOS Eval: PENTIUM PCI/ISA SYSTEM BIOS REV:A06
Chipset: Intel Triton 430TX rev 1
Superio: Winbond 977TF rev 0 found at port 3F0h
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Please try to Load Setup DEfaults in Bios or better Clear CMOS just before to make sure the changes in the patched Bios take effect .

Please make sure you really flashed the patched Version and not the original one .
KachiWachi
The New Guy

The "BIOS Eval:" line is the one that "should" have the patched message included.

Perhaps Rainbow (or another moderator) can post the message you should see in this area to help you out. I don't know if they use a "standard message" there or not.
guest22

I cleared the CMOS on the mobo (JP11) just before flashing the patched BIOS as indicated by Denniss... same results

I went back and flashed the old BIOS A04 that I saved as backup, and after rebooting, the PC would display correctly A04. Then I proceeded to flash again the patched BIOS and after rebooting, the PC would display correctly A06... but same results (HDD hanged).

I must to have done the above process 8 or 9 times (flashing A04 and then A06) without any additional tweaks. I must to have been crazy to think that I would get a different result everytime that I was doing it but I DID!!

The BIOS finally recognizes both 120GB WD and Maxtor hard drives. I have flashed BIOS' before and it has always taken the first time to work, at least for me. I'll keep the PC running to make sure everything else is fine.

Thanks you all for the help!!!