80 GB: 03/01/1999-i440BX-SMC602-6A69KM3JC

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
GreyZanshin
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi everyone.

I've been trying everything to get this hard drive to work, and I've been pulling my hair out in the process. But I'm assuming I need to update my BIOS since it won't auto detect it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 03/01/1999-i440BX-SMC602-6A69KM3JC
OEM Sign-On: HW.27.01(QHW.01.01)
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: SMC 60x rev 0 found at port 370h

Thanks!
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/index. ... 0&count=30

Listed as belonging to HP Brio BA600, BAx, Vectra VEi8 machines and should be a OEM MiTAC 6110ZU/VA motherboard

If your board is in one of these machines then there's a newer Bios patched up to 128GB
GreyZanshin

Hey again.

I flashed the bios with the file from the site and it worked. The bios now detects the hard drive, however, I noticed it says it's 80 Mb instead of GB. Does this matter?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Cosmetic problem .
As long as FDISK or any other program/OS see 80GB no problem
GreyZanshin

It seems FDISK only wants to pick up about 11 GB worth of the hard drive. However, I used Data Lifeguard CD that came with the hard drive to make the partitions and format. Windows XP would not load, when setup would restart my computer I would get a "Error loading operating system" error message. Windows 98 runs and works fine, and it recognizes the correct size of the drive. I'm not sure why XP won't work, but thanks for all the help thus far.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Known FDISK Limitation at Win98 - M$ has a newer version available for download .
Using the Data Lifeguard tools may have caused some problems with XP as they may have installed the drive overlay software conflicting with XP mechanism of detecting and using HDD .

If you have Win98SE better stay there as most virus attacks are directed to XP nowadays and it's easy to get a Virus into XP without using Firewall and other programs