bios display is corrupt

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
HalH
New visitors - please read the rules.

hi,
Sorry! This probably is the wrong place to post, but I didn't see a more apropriate place for this. I've got an ASUS ME-99B that boots, but the bios screen displays are corrupt and unreadable. The system actually did boot to W2K (that is before I blindly reset the bios to defaults) and the display was clear and readable so I assume it's not a video card problem. I did find a screw rolling around loose on the Mboard, close to the Bios chip. may have shorted the chip?. Can anybody suggest a fix?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The screw may have upset things.

I would try resetting the BIOS settings again. If you want to try this you could run through the keystrokes to reset the BIOS via entering setup if you know them; if not try the clear CMOS jumper.

I'm not sure exactly how the clear CMOS jumper is intended to be used but I usually try to be as thorough as possible by:

1) Remove the jumper with the system powered off
2) Power up the system
3) Power off the system
4) Place the jumper onto the two alternate pins
5) Power up the system
6) Power off the system
7) Place jumper back in normal position.

As I said, I'm not sure exactly how the jumper is intended to be used, but I use the above steps to attempt to confuse the system as much as possible and make it want to lose it's settings, and that usually works for me.
HalH

thanks,
This board only has solder points. I've tried shorting the points 3 times now and no luck.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I suspect the screw may have caused some damage as you yourself suspect, in that case.

Maybe others may have some ideas but I have a few more.

1) Maybe only the BIOS flash chip is damaged or corrupted. Try an ISA video card and also try bootblock recovery to see if you can at least get a display. Don't worry too much about actually flashing the BIOS at the moment until you determine if you can get something on the screen. Once and if you get that far ask others here for more advise on how to proceed further.

2) A board that I worked on once with a friend appeared to die and removing the battery and trying the clear CMOS jumper did not work. However, I suggested leaving the clear CMOS jumper completely off (removed) and leaving the battery removed, both, from the system, overnight. I didn't really think this would help but the next morning the board powered back up normally. I appreciate you cannot do this with the clear CMOS jumper as you only have solder points but try removing the battery, even if for a few days if you are not in a hurry. And when I do this I like to disconnect all cards, RAM, CPU and cables from the board, to make sure no data or power is floating around anywhere.
HalH

Thanks,
I'll Give the battery removal a try. I don't have an ISA video card and the Mboard has integrated video. I tried a PCI video card with no change in behavior. I'm beginning to think I'l need to find a replacement chip.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

To be honest I don't think the battery removal idea will help in your case, but it is still worth trying isn't it?

I think you may have more luck with attempting bootblock recovery. If you can get hold of an ISA video card this will help, because the problem with bootblock BIOS is that you cannot see what you are doing on some older systems unless you specifically have an ISA video card. And in your case you would need to disable the on-board video, hopefully via a jumper rather than a BIOS setting. But perhaps your board may support bootblock in integrated video, since it has the integrated video.

The above ideas may get you going the painful way without spending any money on a replacement BIOS chip and/or mainboard. The painful, slow way. If you don't like this idea then trying a replacement chip may be a lot simpler - you could always consider attempting to get yours reprogrammed. I more than half suspect your BIOS chip is corrupted rather than faulty, but this does not rule out the possibility of your mainboard being faulty.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

I've also ran into this same problem about corrupt BIOS display screen. And I resolved this just by clearing CMOS completely (quick fix only).

This problem has nothing to do with the BIOS, but on CMOS data integrity. This means that the CMOS is beginning to show problems of not being able to store custom settings properly.

And since this is a CMOS VRAM problem, the only permanent solution is to replace the CMOS. But this is not doable because the CMOS is usually integrated into the chipset, together with the RTC.

In my case, I've found a way not to rely on CMOS settings every time the system is booted from cold. This I do by modding the BIOS settings thru Modbin6 so that the BIOS Default Settings are exactly the same as the BIOS Setup Settings.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Assuming the problem is just corruption but not data integrity, and can be resolved by clearing the settings, there is one problem with my suggested method for clearing those settings, detailed as below.

You note I sugggested (that worked once before for my friend):

1) Remove battery
AND
2) Remove Clear CMOS jumper (entirely)
OverNight

The problem I am suggesting is that the board in question has not pins but solder points. What would be the equivelent to removing the jumper entirely - somehow one would have to use a wire (I assume) to equivently disconnect all three points. Can this be done? Is it even safe?

Thing is, I don't know if the removed jumper or removed battery or both was what solved the problem - I just figured the more the better (or the less as it was). From what I have been able to tell, connecting pins 1-2, or 2-3, or no pins, all have different effects. However, one would assume that if the battery is disconnected for long enough, and you would think that overnight would do it, that it has the same effect as the clear CMOS jumper. I have just seen enough of boards to not trust them on this point though. I almost suspect they have some form of hidden memory waiting to spring into action as soon as the battery is removed!!!

Anyway just thoughts - rather than fool around with attempting to disconnect all three points might be better to:

1) Leave overnight just with battery removed.
2) If no effect, leave another night with battery removed, and a short lying in position that HalH used as he reported earlier.

Only question is, when shorting the points, was the board powered or even plugged into power. If not, is it worth trying this while applying power or is it SAFE to do so?

However, this is only guessing games - what that loose screw did we really do not know.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi HALH

I thought about this and realised that together with rulenov's post and my last two posts since your reply, that there is a lot of detail. Hopefully all that detail has not put you off. To make it simple, the three easiest things to do are:

1) Remove the battery for a day or two. That should have the same effect as Clear CMOS so forget about Clear CMOS process.
2) If step 1 fails, consider bootblock recovery, if you feel confident in doing so.
3) Consider a replacement BIOS chip.

If all three steps fail, I suspect a replacement mainboard and/or system upgrade is required.

Only one thing to add. If you feel confident, consider discconnecting everything from board for step 1. If you do not want to do this, consider disconnecting, from highest to lowest priority, the wall power cable (from power supply) the mainboard power cables (from main board to power supply) and maybe the power switch wire (from main board to case front panel). Aim to remove any possible signals going through the main board.

I hope you are able to try at least step 1 - give the system some time - and wish the best results for you. I hate to see a main board thrown out - especially when I suspect it may still be recoverable.
HalH

Mahalo,
I'm trying the battery removal now. We'll see what that brings in a day or 2.
As to recovering the bootblock; The bios is set to boot from HHD first and I can't read the screens to get the systen to boot fron CD or floppy. Flashing the chip (which I've done before) doesn't seem Likely :(. I just recalled that the new bios version I used was a beta off the Asus web site. This might also be the problem, although I would have expected the dislay problem to have shown up sooner (like immediately :?).
So, sans success with the battery I suppose I'd need to find a replacement chip reeeeal cheap. Given the age and subsequent limitations of the board, it wouldn't be much over $50-60 fo a new Mboard & more powerful processor. Any suggestions on where to aquire a chip or where to send mine for reprograming? I do have the apropriate (non-Beta .bin) for the chip.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I've never actually tried to obtain a replacement chip, but good luck with the battery removal.

See my new VGA topic - this may help you.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Even if you are successful in clearing CMOS by removing the battery for 2 days, your display problem would still come back if the problem is CMOS data integrity. Anyway, if your display problem indeed comes back then we know that it's a data integrity problem.

Besides, CMOS can be cleared by battery removal method in just 2 hours. I have verified this a number of times with my system. The reason is that battery power is needed by CMOS to retain its data, and so 2 hours is long enough for the CMOS to lose its data since there's no more battery power applied.

Regarding bootblock recovery, it doesn't matter if your system is set to boot first from HD. Bootblock recovery bypasses the middle and late POST routines and does not even read/load the CMOS settings, but goes straight to intializing the Floppy Drive, Keyboard, Speaker, and ISA/PCI Video. This I learned after disassembling the bootblock for a number of Award BIOSes.

But to activate bootblock recovery, you need to force a "checksum error" since your system is booting properly (except that display problem of yours). Bootblock recovery simply allows you to recover from a bad flash, or enables you to do a reflash esp. if you doubt the integrity of the BIOS ROM. See post on "how to force checksum error" if you're interested in bootblock recovery.

Lastly, there's no need to disable onboard video if bootblock recovery is activated because onboard video is disabled by the BIOS at early POST. And the good thing is, in most cases, bootblock is able to initialize the PCI Video.