120GB: ABIT IT5H Rev. 1.01, BIOS Ver. currently unknown

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
mp2
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi!

I'm about to upgrade the hdd in my old linux box to 120 gb. The box doesn't have a display, so currently i can't figure out the BIOS ident. string. I also don't have the hdd yet, but in few days i'll have both. I'm pretty shure, that the old bios won't recognize the hdd. Have anyone ever tried to patch the bios of this mainboard?

The most recent bios update should be here:

http://download.hwtesztek.hu/download/b ... it5hcr.exe

Thanks in advance

Michael
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I've patched the BIOS you linked to and it is at the "untested" link in my signature - look for (Abit IT5H).zip.
Please let us know whether it worked for you....
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
mp2

Hi NickS!

Thanks for patching that bios, but i still have the problem...

After flashing your patched bios, system starts and works fine, but the bios setup programm hungs on HDD autodetection...

Then i've tried to patch the BIOS using the bios patcher from rom.by. The pathing worked fine, but after flashing the system didn't start up.

After that, i've flashed the original BIOS back using CTflasher.

The string from the original BIOS is: 02/25/97 - i430HX-2A59FA1DC-2M.

It seems to be one of the first BIOSes for this mainboard ( http://download.hwtesztek.hu/download/b ... /it5h/old/ )

With this original bios, the 120 GB HDD is autodetected as an 8.4 GB one...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
peace

There are are multiple hardware revs of the IT5h board: 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0. You _must_ use the BIOS that matches your rev board. I believe the 1.0 & 1.5 revs use the same BIOS, but make sure of that yourself. The 2.0 BIOS is definitely different from the others.
mp2

I've used the correct BIOS, but the problem was... i've used the wrong patcher ;-) After downloading an older version of BP from rom.by (4.23), everything seems to work fine... except that damn suse 9.1. Anyway, the hdd is autodetected correctly now.

Thanks for the hints!

Michael