BIOS Check (It's back to haunt me!)

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You should not need to use any memory manager if using the DR-DOS 7.x "Basic-Biosflash" Bootdisk-Image from www.bootdisk.com

There will be nothing loaded but the small parts for OS needed to boot and work .
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I tried a dozen or two more flashes today, going between the new and the old BIOS images. All flashes of the new image fail. Whenever I revert to the backup, everything works.

I tried both the boot disk recommended, and after some flashes using a few different AWARD flash versions, upgraded to the latest version of Uniflash.

Uniflash reports a bootblock mismatch, and when attempting to flash without the bootblock, recommends flashing the bootbblock.

As far as I can tell, the bootblock is at the end of the BIOS image, and the last two blocks of the BIOS image fail in Uniflash (and do not update in AWARD Flash).

But when flashing the backup into the chip, including the AWARD FLASH, it goes through without warnings and without errors. Therefore I am currently concluding that the voltages required to perform a flash to this BIOS are correct on my board and that the downloadable image for this board is simply bad. A Uniflash verification of the new image after the update fails also.

And this is the first time I have tried Uniflash; it is great. Much more friendly interface. It is a good alternative to AWARD Flash with obvious benefits in providing the menu oriented interface as opposed to AWDFLASH's largely command line oriented interface.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I just located a manual for my board.

Looks like JP4 is correctly set to pins 2-3, as required to supply the 12V required for an Intel Flash ROM.

However, if multi-voltage is required, as suggested earlier in this thread, it looks like my board does not have the capability to set that up.

Thankyou everyone for your help on this issue, despite me being pretty much now stuck with the existing BIOS, unless I get some new insight in the future.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Just to revive this thread with a question, which is part of the reason I was looking at BIOS upgrades originally; Can anyone recommend a USB 2.0 (prefferred) card or USB 1.1 card that will be compatible with these boards.

I think it is a chipset class between the boards I have and the card I was trying, so we are looking at a compatibility for the VX chipset. The specific boards are the PC Partner MB520NH and the Jetway 656VXD.

I know this isn't really a BIOS issue, unless I can throw in the possibility of a BIOS upgrade, if required, to provide compatibility.

I have tried the USB ports on the mainboards however with half-hearted results it appears the boards have USB 1.0 ports, which I have been unable to confirm.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I'm using an Adaptec DuoConnect USB1.1/2.0/IEEE-1394 (Firewire) card in my i430VX DFI with no trouble. I have the chipset USB disabled in the BIOS.

Model is AUA-3121, but I know they don't make this particular version anymore.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I just noticed this ageing thread of mine and:

1) The on-board USB ports on these boards worked with a header cable. Based on how USB devices worked with these ports it appeared that the ports were USB 1.1 specification. However, the support was marginal and while some devices worked OK, other devices were a little more tricky to use than on a newer system with USB ports.

2) Apparently the reason the USB card I originally purchased was the PCI revision. I reread the information on the box the card came in and the requirement was for PCI rev 2.2. With little doubt, the PCI rev on a VX Socket 7 board would be 2.1. So that appears to explain that. And I accept that finding a USB PCI 2.1 card would probably be somewhat difficult.

Thanks for offering the information on possible cards.