120GB: Asus TUSL2-C

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
humph
New visitors - please read the rules.

My hard drive isn't recognized by the BIOS. I've updated the BIOS from 1012 to 1014.001 but the BIOS doesnt't detected the drive. An 80-pin cable is used. Any idea?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

A 120GB HDD should be detected fine - make sure you connected the HD properly and used the IDE cable in the right way :
Blue end to mainboard and black end to master drive .
Make sure Master/Slave jumpers are set to the way the manufacturer instructed you to do - mayb test cable-select(CS) on drives attached to this cable .
Does the HDD spin up ?
or does it make some clicking sounds ?
humph

I've tested the drive at my friends pc. It wasn't detected there, too. Cable was in the right way. And I've tested all jumper settings. At the 32GB settings it wasn't detected, too. I think, it is broken. It makes unnormal sounds, but no clicking sounds. I will change it at my dealer. But it is the secound one in one week!?!?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I don't know what type of drive you have but I find that sometimes a new Western Digital drive will not detect on some boards and BIOSs with the default jumper settings.

So try moving the jumper around between Cable Select, Sole Only and Master.

Even if the drive is not initialising because it is not detected, if the drive is receiving power you should be able to feel and hear the difference on the drive between PC powered and PC not powered.

Especially since the drive is a 120GB drive the drive is probably a fairly new drive and most new products do work, so it is worth checking these things.
humph

Sorry, but this task has gone. I had another one by exchange. The new one wasn't detected, too. The dealer checked both and find out that both drives were defect . Apparent the hole delivery was defect. By the way, they were Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 drives. Now I have a Seagate Barracuda and I'm satisfied.