03/11/99-i440BX-W83977-2A69KA1EC-KG

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
spaja
BIOS Newbie

Need update for this one. Anyone can help? 03/11/99-i440BX-W83977-2A69KA1EC-KG
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Your Board should be clearly marked as Abit (AB) BH6 rev 1.0x
http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/bh6.htm
spaja
BIOS Newbie

I have problem to install Win.XP on this Mobo. I get blue screen. It says to update BIOS or change setting in BIOS like Disable External Cache and Video Shadow… but nothing helps. I flashed Bios with few different versions and nothing changed.
Any idea what could be problem.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Possibly you need to do a non-ACPI install with this age of BIOS?
During Windows XP upgrade or install, when you see the message "Hit F6 if you need to load a third party SCSI or Raid driver" , press F5 to select a HAL, or press F7 to force a non-ACPI HAL.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
spaja
BIOS Newbie

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

If I know wich one of these to choose fo sure than I can play with settings in BIOS otherwise it's to many options. Should I put ACPI in BIOS on Enabled or Disabled? :?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I think you can eliminate all but ACPI Uniprocessor PC, Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC and Standard PC. For the most basic set-up try Standard PC.

Other things to consider:
1. I don't know what UDMA mode your HDD is set to vs. what your motherboard supports. If the drive reports ATA-100 and the motherboard hardware only supports ATA-33 you can end up with these symptoms. In this case look at the post http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... highlight= to find a link to the UDMA mode setting tool for your drive.
2. I have also had similar symptoms where the second memory module was faulty.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
spaja
BIOS Newbie

You were right about memory. It’s not faulty but for some reason XP doesn't like all of them during installation. I just put memory from another computer to install everything and then switch them back. Everything seems to work fine. Looks like another Bill Gates fault. I heard that he got blue screen again on some presentation few days ago!? What do you think, shouldn't Microsoft give every costumer life time supply of headache pills for free. :lol:
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If a PC does not run properly both during installation and once loaded, and the only factor making the difference between whether it runs properly or not is the memory installed, I would consider that memory faulty. I would be replacing your memory.

I have experienced in the past memory that was not very good quality and marginal compatibility with the board I was using. After I flashed the BIOS to a more recent version, the BIOS no longer accepted the memory and I had to replace it. Since then when I flash BIOSs I always try to use good quality memory for the flash update procedure.