80GB: 07/21/98- i440BX- W977TF- 2A69KW09C- 02

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
ranman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Just purchased a 80 Gb drive for my computer. It is recognized as 33.8 Gb when I try to install using the maxblast software. I have a cylinder limitation jumper on as well. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

BIOS DATE- 07/21/98
BIOS TYPE- AWARD MODULAR V4.51PG
BIOS ID- 07/21/98- i440BX- W977TF- 2A69KW09C- 02
CHIPSET- INTEL 440 BX/ZX
MOTHERBOARD- WINTEC (EDOM)
OS- WINDOWS XP 2002
CPU- PENTIUM II 400 Mhz
MEMORY- 224 MB RAM
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/index. ... 0&count=50
Wintac/Edom W6BXA (128KB Bios)

Upgrade to this patched Bios, deinstall Maxblast and remove the 32GB limitation clip and you should be able to use the full 80GB
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Could he get away with his current BIOS if he disables the capacity limitation jumper?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Ritchie wrote:Could he get away with his current BIOS if he disables the capacity limitation jumper?
Well, I suppose the other option is to use the manufacturer's drive configuration utility to configure the drive to report itself to the BIOS as <32GiB which pretty much achieves the same effect as putting the jumper on. The usual problem with the Award BIOS bug is that if you allow the drive to report its full size, the BIOS hangs on detection, CMOS setup or reporting.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
ranman
New visitors - please read the rules.

Sorry I am a rookie at this. I downloaded the w6bxa128.bin file and the uniflash source code file. Unzipped them to a floppy disk, now what is the procedure and proper syntax to flash bios. thanks ranman
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.bootdisk.com/
Ge the "Driver free for Bios-flashing" Floppy creator and run it to have a fresh and healthy bootdisk with lots of free space.
Copy Uniflash (source code version not needed, use only the latest version from www.uniflash.org and read uniflash.doc! ) and new Bios to Floppy, now reboot. If your comp does not boot from Floppy check your Bios to make Floppy first boot device.
Boot from this floppy and start Uniflash. Save your old Bios and flash the new one. Reboot and enter Bios to load Setup defaults.