BIOS update needed for Digital DECpc XL466d2

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Kennygk
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a friend with the above listed pc with a Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 1985, 1992
Phoenix Setup Utilities Version 1.02 02. (yes...really really old....but works)

As you all probably know, Digital sold to Compaq, and Compaq sold to HP, and none has info. on it that I can find.

I recently inserted a USB card in it and got a hardware error stating that something in the pc Setup needed to be enabled to recognize it.

Is there an update for the BIOS and/or does anyone know how to 'enable' it via the setup utility?

Thanks,
Ken
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If Windows works through the BIOS to access the USB, which I think is the case, USB will need to be enabled in the BIOS before you can use USB in Windows.

You should not need a BIOS upgrade for this. I think a Phoenix BIOS is usually either F1 or F2 to access setup, and if you run through the options available it should be relatively easy to find.

Oh sorry just realised you are trying to use a USB card. Does the BIOS recognise the card? And does Windows detect the card? If so check if the drivers are installed for the USB card.
Kennygk
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the BIOS recognized the USB card and seemed to install the drivers when I went through the new hardware setup routine. However, the USB wouldn't show my SanDisk stick. So I went into 'My Computer/Properties/Device Manager' and found a conflict. The error message said something about fixing it in the BIOS setup. When I went there I couldn't find anything that looked related to USB.

Ken
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Things I can think of:

1) I would be surprised if there was really a problem in the BIOS once the card was detected by Windows. Install the drivers that came with the card (off the CD) if you have not already done so.

2) The most likely BIOS problem I can think of, if one exists, is that the USB ports on the card are conflicting with the USB ports on the mainboard, they they exist. Try disabling the USB ports on the mainboard. Although I do do not really think this is the problem.

3) Is the card intended for your O/S?

4) Are you able to reply with the specific error message reported?

5) How old is your machine? What PCI bus version is the mainboard? Perhaps your card requires PCI v2.2 and your mainboard is only PCI v2.1.

6) Check the resource assingments in your BIOS. If there is an option to refresh resource allocations try that. If you are using manual resource allocations either set it to auto or check that the IRQ being assigned to the card is set to PCI/PnP and not only Legacy ISA.

7) Does a PC that old support even PCI v2.1?