Please help me-Thank you SO much!!

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Michael
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi I'm new. I'm grateful for all of your help. Thank's! My problem is this..I am looking to procure the Real Mode DOS Drivers for my Sony DVD-ROM DDU220E. The reason is because when I go to safe mode I see the two messages:Compatibility Mode Paging reduces overall system performance and Drive C is using MS DOS compatibility Mode File System. I have Norton Virus Protection...completely up to date. No viruses..in boot sector,anywhere..So what I have done is gone first to my motherboard manufacturer's Web Site and downloaded the Bios updates for my motherboard. I put both files on my desktop.I have not touched either or executed either. This is what I need help with.It is ok to click on the Bios update (which is an executable file currently on my desktop)? And the other file is a zip file (also on my desktop) to flash the Bios. Is it ok to click on this Zip file from my desktop in order to flash my Bios from there? Is there another procedure which needs to be followed when one flashes the Bios? If it is, can you please explain to me how to do this? Thank you very much! Michael (elikas1@comcast.net) :oops:
Michael

I apoligise..the thing I forgot to mention was that my Sony DVD-ROM is using the generic Atapi drivers currently :arrow:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

It's normal in safe mode to have compatibility mode and no CDROM or DVD .
Do you have problems with normal System booting ?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

If you start Windows in Safe Mode, all floppy&hard drives use MS-DOS compatibility mode - that's why it's called Safe Mode. CD-ROM will not work in Safe Mode (only with the real mode driver). Remove the CD-ROM real-mode driver from config.sys (and mscdex.exe from autoexec.bat). When you run Windows in normal mode, no drives should run in MS-DOS compatibility mode.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Michael

Hi Well,I appreciate your help.. The messages I was speaking of earlier (Compatibility Mode reduces overall system performance and Drive C using MS DOS compatibility Mode File System) were only visible in Safe Mode..never so far within Windows., So I believe you all answered my question. That you are supposed to see these messages within Safe Mode (Settings/Control Panel/System/Performance)I read that if you were using the Atapi generic drivers for your DVD-ROM that this was what was causing that message I just wrote about. What about now, my Bios update for my motherboard and the Bios Flash Zip file that are both currently on my desktop? Can I execute both of these from my desktop and they will update the Bios automatically from there or do I need to use some other method of executing and applying these updates? Most Respectfully, Michael
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

See the FAQ at main page here.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere