Can I flash a new (Award) BIOS from floppy

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
kaixo
New visitors - please read the rules.

My processor died (on an MSI TurboK7T mobo) and so I'm using the opportunity to updgrade to an Athlon XP 17000+ (which the board does support). However, when that computer died, I don't know what version of the BIOS it had - and it needs the latest from MSI's site. All the instructions on MSI's site on flashing to the latest BIOS say specifically _not_ to flash from floppy. So I'm stuck. What should/can I do please?

Andrew Harvey
soupy
Absentee administrator

kaixo wrote:My processor died (on an MSI TurboK7T mobo) and so I'm using the opportunity to updgrade to an Athlon XP 17000+ (which the board does support). However, when that computer died, I don't know what version of the BIOS it had - and it needs the latest from MSI's site. All the instructions on MSI's site on flashing to the latest BIOS say specifically _not_ to flash from floppy. So I'm stuck. What should/can I do please?
Buy a preflashed chip, borrow a processor, or bring it into a computer shop and have them update it for you.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
kaixo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the reply.

I eventually managed to borrow a processor, only to find that I had already upgraded the bios enough to enable me to use my Apthlon XP!

Still, all's well now.

Andrew Harvey