AMI BIOS has to count memory in MB instead of KB

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
Amiboot
BIOS Rookie

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get an AMI BIOS (core 7) count the installed memory in MB (Mega Bytes) instead of KB (Kilo Bytes)?

The memory check is in most cases just below the CPU message :

Code: Select all

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
Checking NVRAM..
1048576KB OK

DEL:Setup  F11:Boot Menu  F12:Network boot  TAB:Logo
I'd like to know this because I'm "skinning" a few AMI BIOS'ses to AMI BIOS core 8 style (yeah I know it's not very usefull, but it just looks very cool! :D )

AMI BIOS core 8 POST-screen:

AMI BIOS core 7 POST-screen:

I managed to:
- Get the big AMI logo on top of the screen.
- Change the ASCII font to the one that's used by AMI BIOS core 8.
- Display "Press DEL to run Setup" and "Press <F11> for BBS POPUP" instead of "DEL:Setup F11:Boot Menu".
- Change and relocate the AMI BIOS copyright notice.
- Change the CPU detection message('s).
- Change the order of messages and relocate them.
- Get the right distances between logo's and messages.

The only thing that's still not right is the memory detection message.
It's in KB's instead of MB's so there's a far too huge memory-counting-number displayed (6 or 7 digits!).

A little other thing are the bootkey messages, which don't change to "Entering SETUP ..." and "Boot Menu has been selected ..." after the DEL and/or F-x key is/are pressed.
I know I can just replace the original bootkey messages but that's not good because in AMI BIOS 8 the bootkeymessages are displayed befóre the memory check and in AMI BIOS 7 áfter the memory check.

Of course there are a few other things like the "framed" grapchical parts during POST : the AMI logo remains visible when the POST-messages exceed the lower limit in the POST-screen : the "logo-frame" remains in it's place but the "text-frame" is being refreshed with the new messages.
The Intel BIOS uses a similar graphical construction during POST.
Also the Setup Utility contains another menu structure and animated title bar on top of the screen. However, the POST-screen is for me by far the most important.