160gb Seagate/ HP Paviion 512w

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Narzack
New visitors - please read the rules.

I won't lie, I'm probably in way over my head, but I just need more Hdd space. Even if I have to partition the bastard.

Motherboard Supplier- TriGem
Chipset Intel Whitney 82810E rev 3

Type- Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 Copywright Hewlett Packard Version 3.08
Date- 05/14/02
ID- 71481.STD.0000.D.0205141527
OEM Signon- None
Super I/O- Unknown
OS-Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If I read your email right it sounds like you have not tried installing the 160GB disk yet.

I'm not sure if the latest BIOS will allow you to recognise a 160GB disk on this machine, but since you intend to run Windows XP you should be OK. Windows 2000 and Windows XP bypass the BIOS hard disk information and access the hard disk directly. Therefore they can access hard disk sizes limited by what the O/S recognises rather than what the BIOS recognises. And I'm fairly certain that, although I don't know what disk sizes Windows XP is limited to, that you should be fine with a 160GB disk. For example, I am also running XP SP2 and am using a single partition on the full capacity of a 200GB disk, and no problems.

If you give your 160GB disk a go on this advise then please message back and let us know how you go. I think you should do fine.
Narzack
New visitors - please read the rules.

I tried installing it a few times, and it just wouldn't recognize, even in windows. We tried it in my friend's machine and it showed up in his BIOS just fine and dandy.

However, after a gratuitous amount of brainshredding and cursing, something just clicked. On one of my many restarts and Discwizard uses, it all just clicked together. So, it does appear that you were correct in your assessment. Thanks for your help, lads. Finally got that wretched drive to work.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Glad to hear that I was able to be of help and that you got it working. Enjoy!