Unknown Flash Type

Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
Brett
New visitors - please read the rules.

The plot thickens. I have just logged on to the Abit web site to get a fresh copy of the Bios for use with Uniflash, and there is now a message on the site posted under BH6 which reads:

I Get an "Unknown Flash Type" message on my screen: You have used the incorrect EEPROM. Please use MX type no.28F1000PPC-12C4 or Winbond type no.W29EE011-15 EEPROM.

I am sure that this message was not there a couple of days ago......

Does anyone know a site where I could purchase a couple of the above chips ?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

1) Yes

2) There's no standard for motherboards. Each manufacturer can have its own design and also BIOS is customized for each board.

3) Yes

4) Your BIOS is much newer than the manual - some options could be added or removed.

BTW.: MXIC28F2000 is 256KB Flash ROM while 28F1000 and W29EE011 are only 128KB. What's size of your BIOS?

If there's 12V on the VPP pin, then it's possible that the BIOS you currently have does not support MXIC28F2000 chip. It's possible that newer BIOS will support it if this chip was used on some revision of your board.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Brett

The new BIN file is 256K (BH6_SS.BIN). I am assuming that the Bios size is 256K, the same size as the BIN file. The Winbond chip recommended by Abit is a 128Kx8. In your opinion, is this no good ?

Comparing the chip that is in the MB at the moment, it is 2 megabit while the ones in the Abit message are 1 megabit. Will this also be a problem ?

In regard to the Mother Board revisions, my Board is a v1.01, Abit do mention that there is a latter version, v1.1 . I am hoping that the reference is correct and that 1.01 and 1.1 are different. The frustration is that I do not have any technical specifications that tell me what bios chips will work in either of the boards.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The BIOS is 256KB - this means that you MUST have 256KB chip. It will not fit into 128KB chip.

V1.0x and v1.1 boards are different - they have different clock generator chips.
BlackRain

Hi,

I think I have similar problems, I also can't flash my BIOS. I goofed one BIOS upgrade (with Awdflash...) and the result was corrupt BIOS. I have BootBlock BIOS so I can boot with floppies but every single flashing utility or BIOS-upgrade has been a failure.

I have tried Awdflash versions 7.97D and 8.02 (result: Unknown Flash Type), Uniflash (with force, result: Flash data verification error). I tried forcing Uniflash with options C234 (Macronix MX29F002(N)B/5V) and C2B0 (Macronix MX29F002(N)T/5V), no luck. Also I tried with three different BIOS files, beh_70.bin (latest?), beh_xu.bin and beh_uh.bin. All files are 256k.

Motherboard is Abit BE6-II v1.01. On BIOS sticker: Award (C) 1998 PCI/PNP 686, 207901220, and under the sticker:

MX E993133
29F002NTPC-12
1A7 442
Taiwan

Is there anything to be done with this or should I just get some professional BIOS-restoring? Thanks in advance.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

I think that Abit BE6-II is one of the UniFlash-incompatible boards. You may try some AMIFLash version or GigaByte's utility (which is AMIFlash too, if I remember correctly) http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/temp/flash855.zip. If it fails, try to hot-flashing the chip in another board.
BlackRain

Rainbow wrote:I think that Abit BE6-II is one of the UniFlash-incompatible boards. You may try some AMIFLash version or GigaByte's utility (which is AMIFlash too, if I remember correctly) http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/temp/flash855.zip. If it fails, try to hot-flashing the chip in another board.
OK, tried AMIFlash but it didn't work. Just gave "The flash part is not supported" and with command-line mode "Error 30 - Flash part isn't available".

I'm not sure about the hot-flashing since I don't have access to other mobos. I only have another BE6-II but since UniFlash is not compatible with that...:roll: I might use some professional recovery-service, it's relatively cheap, only 7 euros, but still money spent is money gone...

BTW: is the BE6-II -incompatibility issue technical as in motherboard-wise problem or software-wise? I mean could it be fixed with newer UniFlash version?

Thanks for your answer nevertheless.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

It can be fixed but I don't know how. Some Abit boards use non-standard undocumented flash write protection...
Brett

After a lot of research, I dont think that the information on the Abit site is correct. They advise that the Chip is wrong and suggest a 28f1000PPC, which is the wrong packadge. My board takes a PLCC chip which is a 28F1000PQC. I have obtained a 28F1000PQC so decided to atempt using uniflash to burn orginal chip (28F2000TQC) first. This failed with (FFFF,FFFF) Flash ROM Chip : Unknown
UNKNOWN FLASH CHIP !
I then attempted a hot flash using the 28F1000PQC. It failed with a Flash Data Verification Error. Machine does not boot with the resulting chip.

I then attempted to flash the original chip (28F2000TQC) with a force as follows:
UNIFLASH -force c23c -e bh6_ss.bin
This got further than the first attempt but failed with a flash data verification error. I got the hex code from the chip list which I assume is correct. The machine still boots and there is a bios, but there must be problems.

Any further suggestions? comments ? (other than throw it in the sea !) :cry:
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The board is incompatible with UniFlash - you cannot flash even when you force the chip type because the board does not allow you. Try to use different flasher or use UniFlash on another board.
Brett

What makes you think that Uniflash is incompatable ? Do other flashers give you the ability of doing a Force ?

I was wondering if the chip ID is damaged or hasnt been loaded properly. Note that it appears to be a common problem as I have two boards that are the same with the same issues.......what do you think ? :?
Brett

I have fixed it. I purchased an RD1-PL Bios Saviour from IOSS. It only took couple of days to arrive from TW and got here last night. Device plugged straight in and I was able to boot the system with the old chip and then switched over to new chip on the unit and loaded the new bios. I will now run totally on the RD1 chip, which incidentally is a 29f200.. The BH6 MOB was definitely supplied with the wrong Bios chips. It should also be noted that Abit replied to no emails or questions. Definitely something to think about when purchasing a new MOB. Upgrade has fixed heaps of problems. The RD1 from IOSS is an absolutely fantastic device !!!!!
Their web site is www.ioss.com.tw :D