FIC SD11 NC611

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
nakeddoug
New visitors - please read the rules.

I was curious if any o fyou could refer me to someplace to get maybe a more updated bios for this particular board. I search and search and find nothing but links back to FIC's website which only offers the revision I am currently using. I am wanting to update it to recognize a 160gb wd drive i picked up, and also I wasn't too sure what capabilities could be unlocked with a flash update. Are things like max memory, FIC says 768 total 256 per bank, other sites have shown 512 per bank. Drive speeds 66/100/133 etc, can those be improved from an update, or are those a hardware issue? I basically am interested in finding out anything I can do to modernize the boards capabilities without buying a new board all together. I have a socket a i am piecing together currently so this is just my experimental unit.
KURIAKI

There are a beta BIOS supporting large HDD:
08/25/2000
NC6061
ftp://ftp.fica.com/BIOS/motherboards/sl ... 1_SD11_LGR HD.zip
Maximum memory can't be changed updating the BIOS, it's a chipset issue.
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
nakeddoug
New visitors - please read the rules.

since i am using the 611 version currently would I need to apply this beta flash and then upgrade to the latest? They have me confused on dates or revisions, which one actually is the measure of most recent. haha I emailed their tech support before and asked this question also, do I need to do each update prior to the next or are all previous fixes found in the latest? They never responded with a definate answer, only caution and advising to only dl and flash if experiencing a problem listed as fixed. All I know is when I leave the jumpers off this newer hd it causes the bios to lock up while trying to detect it.
KURIAKI

As long I know this beta BIOS is the latest one.
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

nakeddoug wrote:since i am using the 611 version currently would I need to apply this beta flash and then upgrade to the latest? They have me confused on dates or revisions, which one actually is the measure of most recent. haha I emailed their tech support before and asked this question also, do I need to do each update prior to the next or are all previous fixes found in the latest? They never responded with a definate answer, only caution and advising to only dl and flash if experiencing a problem listed as fixed. All I know is when I leave the jumpers off this newer hd it causes the bios to lock up while trying to detect it.
You don't need to update one at a time; each BIOS is a complete replacement, not a patch.
Some additional hardware functionality can be provided by a BIOS upgrade (disk size is the most obvious example), but mostly it's down to having the right hardware. If your chipset doesn't support UDMA 100 then the BIOS upgrade can't help.
I suspect the beta BIOS Kuriaki identifies, 606(1) dated 08/25/2000, probably does not support HDDs larger than 137GB (128GiB) as its release note says
Fixes Solution:
1. Update harddrive support. was tested with IBM 65GB ATA66. any other drives are not guaranteed.
The text for 611 says: Released 2000/7/11 so it looks as though the Beta is the latest.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"