Do I need a BIOS update to run a 300 GB HD?

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
mrgrout
New visitors - please read the rules.

I purchased a Maxtor 300 GB ATA harddrive. I'm not sure if my current BIOS will run that large a drive or if I need a BIOS update. Here are my BIOS stats:

BIOS type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
BIOS date: 08/20/02
BIOS ID: 08/20/2002-SiS651-P4S533VX
OEM Sign-on: ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
Chipset: SiS 651 rev 1
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1

Thanks for your help. :)

Mike
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Well, the chipset does support 48-bit LBA, so with a BIOS update you should be fine. Perhaps your board already does support it (without an update).
KURIAKI

mrgrout wrote:I purchased a Maxtor 300 GB ATA harddrive. I'm not sure if my current BIOS will run that large a drive or if I need a BIOS update. Here are my BIOS stats:

BIOS ID: 08/20/2002-SiS651-P4S533VX
OEM Sign-on: ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
It's a Sony system?
From Sony Knowledge Base:
Specifications and information for upgrading to a larger hard drive is not supported by Sony and is not provided. Larger hard drives may or may not be supported. Additional support and information may be provided by the hard drive manufacturer. Sony will only support the original hard drive included with the computer.
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
mrgrout
New visitors - please read the rules.

You are correct, it is a Sony computer.

The drive documentation says its possible to lose any data beyond the 137GB limit if a larger drive is not supported. It also says that Windows XP natively supports drives larger than 137 Gb, but then says I have to use Maxblast for Windows to install a EnableBigLBA (Logical Block Addressing) patch into the Windows registry to support large drives. If XP already supports large drives why would I need to install the patch??!! The instructions are not very clear.

After I install the drive is there some indication that will let me know there is a problem? For example, will it show a smaller capacity than the drive actually has? :?:
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

That is nasty not to provide support for greater than 120GB disks when older BIOSs can work with up to 120GB.

However, you mention Windows XP SP1. Windows XP without a Service Pack will only support 120GB, but I am running Windows XP SP2 with a 200GB disk. I would assume that 300 or even 400GB would be supported under Windows XP SP2.

I am not sure about Windows XP SP1 but I suspect greater than 120GB would be supported.

Give it a try.

Windows 2K and XP bypass the BIOS and provide support directly based on what the O/S will work up to. I normally do not like running a larger disk than what the BIOS will support but you can give it a try and if it works make your own decision on this issue.

On this note if it is to become standard that O/S will provide drive support directly I would like to see new BIOSs without drive settings.