Extracting EVERYTHING

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
fordsierra4x4
New visitors - please read the rules.

How can i extract everything from my BIOS file? I've downloaded the original one from MSI's homepage (I have an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum), and so far i've been able to extract the CPUCODE the EPA logo and the ACPI table. However, I want to extract the file named 6a61cm4d.bin file that comes under 'System BIOS', awardeyt.rom that comes under 'YGROUP ROM' and agesacpu.939 that comes under 'Other (4067:0000)'.

Also - I have IDA Pro 4.8 to disassemble the files, but every time i select IDA's CPU type to be 'Intel Compatible: Athlon', the files dont display any actual assembler code at all. Unlike the AWARD Bios guide, IDA does *not* ask if it should disassemble in 16/32-bit - it just opens the file.

Is there something i'm missing here??
maman
Master Flasher

fordsierra4x4 wrote:How can i extract everything from my BIOS file? I've downloaded the original one from MSI's homepage (I have an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum), and so far i've been able to extract the CPUCODE the EPA logo and the ACPI table. However, I want to extract the file named 6a61cm4d.bin file that comes under 'System BIOS', awardeyt.rom that comes under 'YGROUP ROM' and agesacpu.939 that comes under 'Other (4067:0000)'.
Use awardbios editor software (awdbedit.sourceforge.net).

fordsierra4x4 wrote: Also - I have IDA Pro 4.8 to disassemble the files, but every time i select IDA's CPU type to be 'Intel Compatible: Athlon', the files dont display any actual assembler code at all. Unlike the AWARD Bios guide, IDA does *not* ask if it should disassemble in 16/32-bit - it just opens the file.

Is there something i'm missing here??
There must be something wrong. It should be working that way. I'm using IDA Pro 4.8 right now and it works as I described there.
If there's no display at all in the workspace (the color is like a button) then you can open the View|Disassembly menu to look at the disassembly (IIRC it's not written literally like that, I don't have IDA Pro in this computer to tell you the exact menu name). And press C to convert to code in the workspace as described in my latest article. I hope you read the last one, right?

Anyway, do you set the type of the executable type to "binary type"?
click this image

goodluck.
fordsierra4x4

Aaaah - cheers for that. Finally got it to work :)
fordsierra4x4

Although, using that AWARD BIOS Editor, everything under the System BIOS headings appears as miscellaneous ASCII - so i'm assuming MSI have been annoying and written everything in Chinese so i cant understand what values i'm editing...