LPC /FWH programming from Windows

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
manohara_k
New visitors - please read the rules.

Can anybody let me know if its possible to flash bios from Windows Environemnt.

How do i talk to the FWH using LPC interface on the ICH. IS there any register where I need to send Codes to talk to the FWH ? on an intel ich5

Are there any existing utilites for BIOS Flashing from Windows ?

Thanks,
Manohara
maman
Master Flasher

manohara_k wrote:Can anybody let me know if its possible to flash bios from Windows Environemnt.
it's possible, several utilities, such as the winflash from Award Inc. does such a thing. I have an ICH5 based mobo (DFI865PE Infinity) and it works flawlessly. AFAIK, winflash installs and communicate through a kernel mode driver in winXP/2K to be able to access the BIOS flashrom directly from within the OS.

manohara_k wrote: How do i talk to the FWH using LPC interface on the ICH. IS there any register where I need to send Codes to talk to the FWH ? on an intel ich5
Have you read the ICH5 datasheet? I haven't know the details yet.
manohara_k wrote: Are there any existing utilites for BIOS Flashing from Windows ?
Winflash for award BIOS, and I guess others also exist for different kind of BIOS.
manohara_k
New visitors - please read the rules.

Maman

Thanks for your pointers and the detailed tutorails that are in your site.

I am rookie about bIOS technology

Iam reading the ICH manual and FWD manual , I ws able to talk to the RNG device on FWH but yet to "discover" ways of talking to flash

But i reversed the winfaslh.sys driver with winflash (which actually was crashing on my 865g ich5 system) ..looks like i can falsh bios from windows.

I wonder why we dont see so many utilities for falshing bios from windows, may be its a stability problem :-D

Thanks,
Manohara
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Hi.

Utilities like:

(Phoenix)Award WinFlash

Phoenix WinPhlash
Image Image

AMI WinFlash ("WinSFI")

Asus Update
Image Image

Abit Flash Menu

...can be used to update the BIOS in Windows.

Asus Update supports AMI and Award / "Phoenix - Award" BIOS mainboards.

The current Abit Flash Menu version also works on/with "non-Abit" mainboards, also with AMI and Award BIOS.
BIOS backup - Multi BIOS - prevent a BIOS update failure:
RD1 BIOS Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw
maman
Master Flasher

Borg Number One wrote:Hi.
Asus Update supports AMI and Award / "Phoenix - Award" BIOS mainboards.

The current Abit Flash Menu version also works on/with "non-Abit" mainboards, also with AMI and Award BIOS.
There's no major difference between AMI and Award/Phoenix or other kind of BIOS from the flasher-program's point of view. The flasher only needs to know the chipset and it's associated protocol to access the BIOS chip and also the locking mechanism used by the BIOS chip to disable writing into it (certain byte patterns need to be written to certain address). However some of the locking mechanism already standardized by JEDEC :wink:
Last edited by maman on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Hi.
maman wrote:There's no difference between AMI and Award/Phoenix or other kind of BIOS from the flasher-program's point of view. The flasher only needs to know the chipset and it's associated protocol to access the BIOS chip and also the locking mechanism used by the BIOS chip to disable writing into it (certain byte patterns need to be written to certain address).

Try to run any Award WinFlash version with any AMI BIOS boards in Windows (2k/XP...)

Try to run any AMI WinFlash version with any Award BIOS boards in Windows (2k/XP...)

In both cases you will see nice crashes/error messages by Windows.
RD1 BIOS Savior

maman
Master Flasher

Borg Number One wrote:Hi.

Try to run any Award WinFlash version with any AMI BIOS boards in Windows (2k/XP...)

Try to run any AMI WinFlash version with any Award BIOS boards in Windows (2k/XP...)

In both cases you will see nice crashes/error messages by Windows.
hmm, I think it's because this vendor specific flasher checks the integrity of the respective BIOS binary file based on their propietary mechanism (checksums, etc.), prior to and possibly after the binary is written to the flashrom. That's why it crashed if we try to flash different kind of BIOS binary than what they expect :wink:
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

The mentioned steps result a crash, before loading any BIOS file.
RD1 BIOS Savior

maman
Master Flasher

8O There must be something that I overlooked here. Is it the kernel mode driver interface between both flasher that has issue :? . Anyway, thx for pointing out Borg :wink:
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Hi.

I think that the AMI/Award BIOS (some code/routines in the BIOS) are responsible to support "BIOS Flash in Windows".
-->A kind of a special interface to allow to flash the BIOS in Windows???

If you check the string resources in Award WinFlash, you will find stuff like
"Flashing in Windows not supported by current BIOS".

The kernel mode driver interface and the "Award/AMI WinFlash possibility/interface" ( by the Award/AMI BIOS code) may be totally different, so that they crash if you run AMI WinFlash on a board with Award BIOS and vice versa.
RD1 BIOS Savior