Hitachi HD reads 128GB, but's actually 160GB??

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
griff1211
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have tried several things to get this problem resolved. I have downloaded the BIOS info programs that grabs all your stats. I have tried to run the utility from Hitachi that allows you to change the capacity. However, it read the drive as 160Gb. So, is this just a display issue? Meaning that the drive shows 128GB, but will actually hold 160GB.

I have a HP Media Center 864n and the BIOS is from Phoenix Technologies, last updated in 2003. The weird thing about all this is the drive that came with the PC is 160GB as well. The only thing that might be an issue is I am using the cable that goes to the Primary HD to hook up the secondary drive. There isn't an open bay, so the drive is hanging off the cable. It's secure, just not bolted down. Maybe that is the issue. If so, I will just get an external. But they cost more, so who knows.

Any help that can be provided is appreciated. I won't be home until later tonight, so I can't provide detailed information on my PC. Hopefully what I have offered will give you a sense for my issue.

Thanks,

Erik
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Once you have native 128GB support, it's easy to get Windows 2000/XP's NTFS to support 160 (and more) GB.
griff1211

I am glad it's easy. But that doesn't help me much. I tried updating my BIOS, but it didn't work. So unless the tech support for the company can help me out, that won't be the answer.

IF it's simple, can someone explain it to me. I am not a novice, but at the same time I am not an expert. Thanks!!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

You would think that if the BIOS read the original 160GB natively, it should read the new drive as such...

Did you try plugging in the new drive alone as Master...just to see how it is detected?
griff1211

Yep, it reads as 160. So not sure if it's the connection. I might be better off getting an external since there is no open bay for the drive. Still having issues updating my BIOS, which is more of a concern right now. It's tell me about a Fail chip set or something like that.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

griff1211 wrote: I have tried to run the utility from Hitachi that allows you to change the capacity. However, it read the drive as 160Gb. So, is this just a display issue? Meaning that the drive shows 128GB, but will actually hold 160GB.
There can be a difference between the "reported" capacity and the "native" capacity. The utility should let you know both values and allow you to change the "reported" capacity. If both are 160GB - are they ? - and your other drive was reported as 160GB by the BIOS I'm baffled.

Is your other drive reported as 160GB by the BIOS? The "128GB limit" is actually a 128GiB (binary Gigabytes) limit and should show up as 137GB, so if your BIOS is reporting 128GB I think your "reported" size has been set smaller. How and why - ??? Is the drive new?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Not the first Hitachi with size issues. I have seen this with drives as early as 10GB reporting only 8.4GB. I don't know what Hitachi is doing with their firmware but many boards don't like it. One reason I avoid Hitachi drives at all costs...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...