my hdd is not recognized

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
blueice-dog
New visitors - please read the rules.

hi I new to all this my grandaughter computer had a worm and wont let me run the programs from the front page some information i have got with belerc and the rest of her computer :oops: if you cant help i will understand. anyhow i wanted to install a new 40gb hdd in her computer but it wont let me and after reading a few sites i gather its the bios in her motherboard and i need a fix, if you can help can you tell me how i go about doing this for her thank you in advance

Processor a Main Circuit Board b
467 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6147 (i440ZX) 1.X ver:1.1BX7
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 10/20/98
W6147ZXMS V1.2 041499
pci/isa bios 2A69 km4E

im trying to put in a 40gb western digital cavier 14200

i havnt a clue if i got this right and will need explanation on how to do it but thank you for reading god bless

ice
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Microstar MS-6147 (Intel 440ZX chipset)
http://www.msi.com.tw
Denniss
BIOS Guru

AFAIK the 1.2 Bios already is the latest Bios version and requires patching to support HDD at lest up to 64GB.
Do not use the MS-6147 Bios, this board is powered by the i440BX chipset, it may render your board useless.
blueice-dog

Thanks for the replys but already i am lost :oops:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/b ... 108&kind=1

is this the right page? sorry im a little confused one seems to be saying use the other not to or am i getting compleatly mixed up I just need straight forward link and an explanation on how to do it Im a learner guys
you have probably done thousands little old me is a bios virgin sorry to be a pest but if i do it wrong first time i dont get to do it right again if what im readings right thanks again god bless

ice
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

That page lists BIOSes for both BX and ZX versions of the MS-6147. Your board is the ZX version. The latest BIOS for the ZX version is 1.2 You already have 1.2. Therefore there is no BIOS on that page that can help you. We have patched the 1.2 BIOS to remove the bugs that prevent the use of HDDs larger than 32GiB and you are welcome to test it at your own risk. Please look for the file (MSI MS-6147 ZX only).zip at the "Untested" link in my signature. If you use it, please let us know how it worked for you (including drive make/model if possible).

(In some cases it may be necessary to limit the UDMA mode of your HDD to prevent time-outs and hangs when Windows is using DMA mode).

For a guide on how to flash the BIOS, check out the main Wim's BIOS site FAQ or the "Collected Wisdom" forum. You may wish to download the 12.ZX BIOS from MSI so that you have a copy of the Award Flash utility to use.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
blueice-dog

:lol: thanks to you for your help I have now got my grandaughters computer up and running with xp :D for love nor money would it boot up the western digital even though it was listed as master it just hung so i changed it to the other one i had which was a quantum fireball e25.1a and it booted first time no hanging no stalls just straight through to desktop so thanks again you do a brilliant job god bless

ice