PC Partner MB520NH BIOS Upgrade Sucessfull

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi

Just wanted to report that after being unable to detect an 80GB HDD with the latest BIOS available from PC Partner for the MB520NH, I tried creating a DR DOS Bootdisk with Uniflash 1.40 and the tested and patched BIOS from Wim's BIOS, and that flashed through fine enabling me to correctly detect an 80GB after a reboot.

I don't know which bug was patched - either the 32GB or 64GB or both.

The only problem I have now as far a HDD capacity goes is that when I install Solaris 10, it only seems to want to work with the first 8GB of the drive. Any ideas on this?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think you have to ask Sun about that, might be a bug in their installer...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Just wanted to note that I tried installing Windows 2000 on this board using the full 80GB partition on a new HDD which both W2K Setup and the BIOS recognised in full.

However when Setup gets to the first reboot I get a "disk read error" instead of the HDD booting.

So then I tried running W2K Setup again and tested with a small 5GB partition, and it worked fine.

I have also tried using this 80GBs disk as a full capacity partition on a Pentium III machine and it also works fine.

So it appears that while this patched BIOS detects the 80GB disk nicely, there may still be a problem in accessing the disk correctly.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Ritchie wrote:Just wanted to note that I tried installing Windows 2000 on this board using the full 80GB partition on a new HDD which both W2K Setup and the BIOS recognised in full.

However when Setup gets to the first reboot I get a "disk read error" instead of the HDD booting.

So then I tried running W2K Setup again and tested with a small 5GB partition, and it worked fine.

I have also tried using this 80GBs disk as a full capacity partition on a Pentium III machine and it also works fine.

So it appears that while this patched BIOS detects the 80GB disk nicely, there may still be a problem in accessing the disk correctly.
That's one to bear in mind - thanks for the feedback! I've updated the notes with a warning. Can you tell us what model drive that was, and whether you could check with any other? The original tester had no problem with his 60GB drive, so it may be a ">64GiB" problem.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi Nick

I will see if I can check the model number for you, but it is:

WDC
80GB
8MB Cache

I think it is jumpered onto Single/Sole Master running a 40 wire ribbon cable.

Is this a new problem or have you come across it before?

At the moment I only have that one drive of that capacity range to test with, and if I had another it would likely also be WDC, as these are the brand drives I usually deal with.