60GB: BioStar M6TBA

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Zach Payne
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi guys,

I've been miserably trying to install this 60gb maxtor hd on my Biostar M6TBA motherboard for a few days with little luck. It simply hangs my computer when it tries to autodetect if it's the primary master drive. I've upgraded the bios to the lastest version available from biostar. Still doesn't work. Here's all the details on my bios, etc.

Program: Unicore Chip Detect v0.56 1999.12.30
BIOS Date: 02/23/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 02/23/1999-i440BX-SMC60X-2A69KB0CC-00
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: SMC 60x rev 0 found at port 3F0h

If you need more info, let me know!!!

A few little notes I found interesting as I've been doing quite a bit of research on this stuff through my troubles.
- The motherboard is the M6TBA v1.2 I verified that on the mobo directly. The Bios ID doesn't quite match this board but that's what it is.
- Strangely, the BIOS -does not- have trouble detecting the drive when I start my computer from a complete shutdown. however, anytime I restart my computer it hangs at autodetect. The drifve works perfectly and I've been using it sparingly by simply shutting down whenever I need to restart.
- I had been using this drive for quite some time as the secondary slave. Worked okay in this config but I decided to make it the primary master and run a dual boot os from it. Not having much luck.
- I've gone through 2 12packs of DP and 4 pizza's trying to get this thing to work ;)

Thanks guys, great website!
Zach
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/main ... /bios.php3

The M6TBA BIOS update dates have been mixed up at BIOSTAR's site. Anyway, the only difference is the ROM size (1MB vs. 2MB).

Your only current option is getting a patched BIOS for support upto 64GB.
Zach Payne

Ah, I see. Well, I went with TBA0223b.bin because it said it was for V1.2 boards and earlier. It definetly helped as windows is now detecting new ports which really hadn't worked well before. Do you think I should try TBA1124b.bin or are you pretty confident it won't work?

btw... where are you getting the 1mb vs. 2mb?

Thanks for you help!
Zach
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The 1MB and 2MB.... just move your mouse pointer over both links. You'll see why :)
Zach Payne

Ah!!! :)

Okay, so I'm tempted to try and use the 2mb version since it's release date was late '99. After searching the archives I saw a post where Rainbox said bioses after 7/'99 had fixed the 32gb bug. I'm just worried (because my board is only V1.2) that this bios might not work right.

Zach
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You can go ahead and try.... but the BIOS won't fit :)

What you can try is:
Get a new 2MB BIOS chip (one of the more common brands: Winbond, ATMEL, etc.) and hotflash it on your board.

You'll then be able to use the new 2MB BIOS on your board.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

I can patch the 1mbit version for you if you want. It should work upto 64GB then.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Zach Payne

hi Rainbow,

That would be fantastic if you could!!! I would greatly appreciate it. Is there anything else you need from me?

Thanks
Zach
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

See your e-mail :)
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Zach Payne

Woohooo!!! Work's great! Thanks so much!

Zach