WoL 3-pin connector

Ask a question about your computer setup.
tuaka
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi Guys,
I want to wake up a system by genernating some signal to wake up the WOL 3-pin without using NIC. Would someone please help me by tell me how to do it or have any references related to WoL document.

I know there is a WOL pin, a +5VSB pin, a GND pin. What signal or electricity current I need to wake the system up.
Thank you very much.
Mobo=VIA EPIA ITX M10000
cp
BIOS Guru

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... /21383.pdf

if you look on the left lower corner of Figure 1 you'll see LAN_WAKE_UP and COM1_RI connected to an OR-gate and 10k pull-down resistors added. so if you pull on of those pins high, the Super I/O (PC87307 in this case) will generate an interrupt. you can connect the pushbutton to +5Vsb with a resistor in series (take something like a 100Ohm resistor as a current limiter). if you encounter any strange behaviour you should debounce the button, too. (see: http://www.ece.utep.edu/courses/web3376 ... ounce.html for a nice explanation about bouncing switches).
tuaka

Thanks for the infor, CP.
My instructor keeps telling me that I need to look for WoL Standard Document. I looked all over the place and into IEEE 802.3 and still couldn't find it.
Can anyone give me some guidance? Is WoL a standard protocol? Is there such a Wol Standard Protocol out there? Does it belong to IEEE 802.3? Any thoughts to these questions would help me alot. I really need helps. Thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

yes, WOL is a standard protocol by IBM (1997) and supported by many companies. it consists of a software layer that sits on top of the network card listening to the network's bytestream. if a 'magic packet' arrives the network card is able to switch on the system by either 2/3pin WOL connector or if PCI2.2 is used even over the PCI bus itself.
( read http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content ... /20213.pdf ).

you should also read: http://www.informatica.ctu.ufjf.br/Elet ... C87307.pdf

look at page 211 for a timing diagramm of RI
tuaka

Is WoL part of PXE, part of WFM? It is so hard for me to find WoL Specification or Technical Document. The white paper is not detailed enough. My instructor wants more detailed on the circuit level. Ah.
cp
BIOS Guru

well..what circuit does he want information about? there is the NIC chip on one side. It contains a mac-matching-machine (simple explanation) that sends out a signal to the WOL connector and/or the PCI bus if a magic packet arrives. if you're looking for this then you should grab one of the NIC chip datasheets (take a look at intel's ftp or realtek's circuit section). on the other hand there is in case of the WOL connector a multi I/O chip that generates an interrupt if a signal on a special pin is asserted (that pin might be RI or WOL). in case of the pci bus there must be another chip (i suspect the northbridge as the multi I/O chip sits on the isa bus) generating the interrupt. but as we're talking about the WOL connector there will be a connection to the multi I/O chip. if you're looking for this you should grab one of the multi I/O chip datasheets (over at winbond's site) and look at the timing diagrams that are supplied for the RI or even a WOL pin.
as a matter of fact WOL is a part of ACPI as a kind of Remote WakeUp. WFM ( ftp://download.intel.com/design/archive ... base20.pdf ) requires ACPI to wake up the system. PXE is just what happens when the system already was woken up and doesn't use a local boot drive but a (distant) server to boot.
tuaka

I still haven't find any reliable document about WOL standard yet. There is 3 pin on the motherboard. Pin 1 is +5VSB, Pin 2 is GND, and pin 3 is WOL. I can connect the +5VSB and GND from the ATX power supply to Pin 1 and 2, but I don't know what to do what the WoL pin (pin 3). Is it correct to also connect +5VSB to WoL pin? If it is, how long does it has to be remained connected? Or just a spark and remove it.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Are you saying you can't find any signal sheet for the WOL connector?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

if you would have followed my suggestions reading: Page 211 of this you would have noticed that you'll have to trigger the RI# pin for at least 10ns. since the WOL pin is routed through a transistor on the mainboard to RI# (or another pin that acts alike, just take a mainboard and check the routing) you just have to pull the WOL pin to +5Vsbfor at least 10ns (the additional logic on the mainboard converts your pulling high to a pulling low for the multi I/O chip since RI# is low active). take a simple wire and connect one end to +5Vsb and connect the other end to the WOL pin if you want the board to wake up.
btw. i just shorted a WOL pin and +5Vsb with tweezers to check if it works as intended after shutting the mainboard down. it works just fine.
tuaka

Hum. I tried with 20AWG wire. One end to +5VSB and the other end to WOL on the motherboard, and didn't work. However, I connected one end of the wire to +5VSB and the other end to GND, I saw the CPU fan spinning for a while and stopped. But there is nothing display on the screen though. Do you have any idea why?

CP. How long did u leave the wire connected to +5VSB and WoL? Do you do anything to the ground? Should be just a touch and release right?

Thanks alot.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think you just blew up the +5SB on that power supply...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

tuaka: just touching them is enough. remember the datasheet: 20ns (that's 20 NANO seconds, 10^-9 seconds!) is enough. just make sure that WOL is switched on in the BIOS and you shut down the mainboard after it was powered up before because the multi i/o needs some registers to be loaded.

edwin: that's possible but very unlikely. as that WOL pin is a cmos input pin it requires virtually no current to be switched.
tuaka

Thanks. I will try that later. I guess I need to build a completed system first. I only tested on the motherboard connected to power supply, memory, and hard drive. I haven't build a completed system yet.
tuaka

Thanks Cp.
It worked fine now.
tuaka

Hi,
The Wake on Lan pins act very strange lately.
After I shutdown the computer, sometimes I just touch a wire to the WOL pin and the computer started running. Without any current? Any idea why?

Tuaka