Problem with TMC AI5VG+ update

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Bluebeard
New visitors - please read the rules.

The motherboard is a TMC AI5VG+. It originally had the U1 version of the BIOS but HD size limitations, in particular the requirement to use a MAXTOR 6Y080P0 80GB HD forced a BIOS upgrade. I have spent sometime searching and found newer BIOS's such as M589U3/U4/U4_J and the installer AWDFLASH. I also have the MAXTOR tool MAXBLAST 4. The particular model of Maxtor HD has a jumper to limit the reported size to about 33GB. When I install a U4 version bios the size is reported correctly and the C: drive can be written with an OS (such as Win2k or FreeNAS) but when it comes to booting the HD it fails everytime. I have tried it fullsize, the capped size, with a DDO installed by Maxblast but the BIOS can never seem to find the bootcode on the HD. I have spent hours and hours on this trying every possible combination.... Even Win98... But none will boot. Even if I restore the original U1 version and cap it to 33GB....
Anyone any idea what the problem is...??
Roger
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Umm, so you install an OS on the harddisk and after doing so it can't boot from the harddisk? You made sure it is listed in the boot order? No other floppies/CDs in the machine at boot time? No boot sector/MBR viruses? You checked with fdisk from a floppy if your boot partition is indeed set active?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

on autodetecting the hdd select lba block addressing (that's option 2 or Y). limit the size of the hdd to 32GB and install a modern operating system (linux, windows xp sp2 or windows 2k sp4) to use the full size of the hdd despite the limiting jumper.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

In this case I think it's either something lurking in the bootsector or a hardware problem with the disk or controller. Was this disk tried in an other machine already?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

cp
BIOS Guru

to clean the bootsector use xfdisk.
Bluebeard
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks CP/Edwin. The HD had been is use elsewhere and all the things suggested to check/try had been. Having said that I now feel a bit silly in that I did something a bit odd and it is now working. I re-installed the U4 version of the BIOS (with no cap link on HD) so that 81GB was reported. I then ran MAXBLAST and after fiddling a bit clicked on to install the DDO. I am not really quite sure why I did that except that I had already gone through so many permutations... It is a bit of a silly thing to do since you would normally only do this to get the HD to run the correct size when capped....!! (Or that is my understanding...?). Anyway I went on to install Win2k from CD and as before it went through the whole of the install procedure up to the point where Win2k install does a restart. Always before it had failed but this time, as it should, it did a restart and carried on to complete the install....!!!!! The install version is without SP but I have the update to take it to SP4. Despite several restarts all has since gone ok..! If you can think of a reason..?? Just in case I ever need to re-install from scratch again???? But for the moment I am all up and running.. just puzzled? Roger
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

one of the things Maxblast does is putting or removing a hook to the workaround in the MBR. I have a gut feeling something else was lurking around there that should not have been there. To kick those things out use

fdisk /MBR

next time.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything