6GB: ABIT PX5

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Alistair.kirk
New visitors - please read the rules.

This board runs Award 4.5 BIOS and hangs when I try to use my new hard drive unless I link it to limit it to 32Gb. Is there a version of the BIOS thatv will support my drive? I've checked the ABIT web site & various other sources but without luck. :?:
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I have emailed you a patched version of revision EK which will do up to 64 Gb for testing.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Alistair.kirk

Nick
I applied the patched BIOS and restarted my PC all was good. :)
I then restrapped the 60Gb drive to remove the 32Gb limit and re-booted the PC and it no longer locks up. :)
Unfortunately my BIOS now reports the drive as being 16Gb in size (with a 32Gb partition!) instead of 60Gb. :(

help!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Alistair.kirk wrote:Nick
I applied the patched BIOS and restarted my PC all was good. :)
I then restrapped the 60Gb drive to remove the 32Gb limit and re-booted the PC and it no longer locks up. :)
Unfortunately my BIOS now reports the drive as being 16Gb in size (with a 32Gb partition!) instead of 60Gb. :(

help!
Hmmm, good one! I sent you a later (PX5_GP) BIOS as well, I assume that is the one you used. The next question is whether this the display routine or the detection routine which is messing up. If you boot from diskette, what does it report about the hard drive ?

Rainbow, if you read this, I followed the usual procedure (search for "26 66 83 7D 78 FF" byte sequence /overwrite with "26 81 7D 7A F0 03 72 02 B2 FF 90 90 90 90 90 90 52") - any ideas ?
Alistair.kirk

Nick
Booting from floppy with the drive linked to the full 60Gb the BIOS reports 16Gb whether I use the BIOS auto detect or just let it start and complete booting. From the A drive DIR C: reports 16Gb as well.

Alistair
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Alistair.kirk wrote:Nick
Booting from floppy with the drive linked to the full 60Gb the BIOS reports 16Gb whether I use the BIOS auto detect or just let it start and complete booting. From the A drive DIR C: reports 16Gb as well.

Alistair
Closure notes:
Alistair tried a BIOS with the 64Gb bug fix, but it froze in "Standard CMOS setup" at the point where it was going to display the hard disc size. Yes, he did clear CMOS. :-(
The version I patched only reported 16Gb, but he remembered he had used a disc manager utility to make the drive under-report. When he ran the utility again and told it to report full size, everything was fine. SO he is currently using the version I patched.

So kiddies, don't forget to restore the drive to its factory settings after installing the new BIOS.
Alistair.kirk

:P I am now running with Nick's patched BIOS and without having to inhibit the 60Gb disk to 32Gb. Thanks Nick.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Maybe a bug in AWD64GB...
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Rainbow, as Alistair is running ok with my patched version, would you like to post that on the site ? at least it will help up to 64Gb.
cagey_cable

I (believe I) have the same board and similar situation.

BIOS V4.51PG Award v1.0A PNP
11/13/1998 - i430TX - W83977 - 2A59IA1BC - GP
Abit PX5

Maxtor 40GB stalls boot. Boots fine with 32GB limitation.

How would I get this patched BIOS file?

Thanks,
Denniss
BIOS Guru