my 20 gig hd isn't detected

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
cdoublej
BIOS Newbie

i have a toshiba sattalite i don't know what model i don't know were to find the model number any who my 20 gig hd isn't detected and it just blinks what were do i find the modle number i.e. 1600 16xx etc and what bios version do i flash to?

EDIT the laptops user guide says Satellite 2800/2805

it originaly came with a 6 gig hd which is in it now and works fine but when i try to put the new one in bios stalls it sits there and blinks that little underscore thingy.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

tried the toshiba website for a newer bios? That 20GB harddisk is a known good one?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cdoublej
BIOS Newbie

yes i had it tested i don't know what version to flash to guess i'll have to look at the system restore disk and Manuel to see if that gives me the exact modle number bastards at Toshiba could have it in bold letters stamped the model number in the plastic casing (TOSHIBA 28xx) :evil: i mean come on you can't fix it if you don't know what it is.

Ok i found the model number on the bottom butt only after i knew what to look for I flashed the Bios and it went very well but it still stalls with the 20 gig i can't tell if it recognizes it and can't boot since it has a half installed win xp on it or if it doesn't recognize it because i don't know the Bios key when it boots and when i press F2 to go to boot options nothing happens most likely the F2 key doesn't work since the keyboard is messed up and i don't know the Bios so if some one knows what button to push to go into bios please tell me.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Powering on, hold the <Esc> key down. When the Power-On Self Test finishes, there should be a message to press the F1 key to enter BIOS setup. This works on my Tecra and Satellites.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
cdoublej
BIOS Newbie

thanx dude so i got it to boot fro the cd-rom so i can setup xp and so far it's working. my luck i just jinxed it any who thanx for your help Edwin Nicks you have been very helpful.

well it just messed during windows installation when detecting the hardwares it said "session 3 intalization failed" but the first time a raound it din't mess up i'll give it another try.

Ok i have xp installed but when it goes to boot from the hard drive to finish the installation it sits there i did a get a message once "checking media
media check failer check cable" "m0f rom failer " and some other thing of some sort.