Western digital WD2000BB 200GB in Gigabyte 586ATV?

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Oerg
BIOS Rookie

Hi, i have a 200GB hdd in my Gigabyte 586ATV. WIth the old bios it is shown as 8GB but in the patched it hangs in autodetection.

I need some files from the hard disk :(

Greets,
oerg

EDIT: Forgot BIOS ID:
11/06/97-i430VX-UMC8669-2A59GG0AC-00
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Add-in IDE controller card needed with bios such as those made by promise Technologies. Patching will get you up to 128GB give or take a little, not 200GB.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

even if there's no patched version available: clip the drive to 32GB, autodetect the drive (answer 2/Y) and boot using a modern OS (Linux, Windows 2000/XP) as the OS will bypass the bogus bios information and enable LBA48 drive access. LBA48 is not limited by chipset (exception: some old revisions of ALi M15x3 southbridges using LBA48 AND UDMA at the same time isn't possible so it will switch back to PIO) but just depends on the OS. If your hardware is too slow to use Windows 2000/XP and you're not familiar with Linux you can still use a live-cd like Knoppix or Ubuntu.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

This one was already formatted and has data on it so no telling if it can be accessed using your method.

Oerg: once you get to the point where you can see the files, don't forget to take ownership of the files/folders before you can copy them.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cp
BIOS Guru

if the drive is already formatted and the method described doesn't work you could just connect the drive without detecting it in the bios and boot a linux live-cd. the ide drivers will detect the drive nevertheless.. hook up another hdd to copy the data and you're done.