Hiya Guys..

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Aquafox
New visitors - please read the rules.

Okay so I flashed a modded bios for my MS-6119 mobo that mucked up. So what I had to do in the end was hot flash it on another mobo...

But when I pulled it out one of the pins broke....

And now i had a question- Is it possible to use another BIOS chip to be flashed with the old BIOS (they are both EEPROM)...

and does it matter if the old one was 256k and the newer one is larger?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

You should use one of the same type.

Thanks.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Those flashroms need to have the same size, you can'Tuse a 128k or 512k chip on a Board with 256k Bios. Also these Flashroms have to be supported by your motherboard Bios, best is indeed to get the same type you already had. But if you are not able to get this type then use compatible xhips from Winbond or SST, 29EE020/29C020 should be compatible to most mainboards.

And please take care of the MS-6119 revision number, this board came in at least two major revisions requiring their own Bios. AFAIK rev 1.0 with CPU jumpers and 1.1 with CPU PnP in Bios.
cp
BIOS Guru

well, first i thought i'd better not post on this but now...
to clear up some things: if the replacement eeprom has the same size as the original chip there's still a chance that even when Vcc is the same with both types the programming voltage Vpp may differ. keep in mind that the mainboard generates Vpp and not the eeprom itself. if in doubt program the replacement eeprom in a known-good mainboard that supplies the correct Vpp and swap it over to the other mainboard afterwards. don't flash the bios after the swap as you might end up with a fried eeprom.
if you're sure about Vpp you could also use an eeprom with higher capacity. the thing is: i wouldn't always work. the support for larger chips depends on two things: the southbridge's eeprom size support and the mainboard manufacturer's mainboard layout. example: even if the southbridge supports 2Mbit eeproms the mainboard manufacturer could have left the highest address pin unconnected if the intended to use 1Mbit eeproms only.
another thing to consider: is the eeprom a simple eeprom or does it have firmware hub capabilities.
and one last thing: the flasher. use a recent version of whatever flasher you're using as it needs to correctly detect southbridge and eeprom/firmware hub.