Checksum error after adapting bios file

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
Erik_M
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi!
Apparently i'm one of many people having the same problem after buying a 19" widescreen which requires a 1440x900 setting.
In my struggle to get things working, i ended up here and woopteedoo, there's an extensive "how to" on this issue, great! (mind you, the only useable one around, thanks!)(http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic8989.html)
It just... doesn't work for me.
I have an aopen mx46-800n motherboard with SIS 661FX chipset.
Updated to the latest SIS drivers (uvga3_382).
Downloaded the latest aopen bios (dated 03/04/2004, duhh), which is on my system already btw.
It consists of two files : 8xn101.exe and 8xn101.bin.
Opened the bin with cbrom 2.07, followed the exact steps using the SIS video bios cp provided in forementioned topic, and succeeded.
Then started 8xn101.exe in a command box and got this error :

While this is what i want : (from original bin)

Bummer! i tried again by fooling it, i renamed the new vga rom to the original file name, but came up empty again, different checksum, same problem.
Since the vga rom wasn't the last one in the list before i altered the file, but was after, i figured that could be the problem, so i extracted and released everything after the vga rom (pci and logo1) and imported them again so the sequence would be the same again.
Alas... it won't be fooled and now i'm running out of ideas.
Anyone care to put in his/her 5 cents?
Thanks in advance, Erik
Last edited by Erik_M on Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cp
BIOS Guru

can you please send me a copy of the bios you want to flash? i'll take a look and send back a patched copy.
Erik_M

Thanks CP, great!
It should be in your email now, i sent it from a different address because gmail won't let me send executables, hope this one does :D

Thanks again, Erik
Erik_M

So unfortunately we didn't get a working solution...
I still get a checksum error, even though the checksum was ok @ cp's when he put it together.
Looks like i'm screwed, just like i was wen i bought this pc anyway, this sucker's had more issues than amy winehouse and pete doherty put together :lol:
I should have expected this when i discovered this MB mostly went into cheap office pc's, so there's not much info on them.
Anyway, anyone who wants to/is willing to give it a try, i put the files here : http://kolderkatjes.nl/stuff/ohcrap.zip both the original and cp's patched version.
Thanks again to cp, i'm gonna bug aopen with this and let you know how it works out.

Erik[/url]
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Try a diferent flashprog. It's possible AOpen used a modified flashprog that allows only flashing of the 1.01 Bios with the specific checksum.

Uniflash might not work on this board, try a standalone Award flashprog or Amiflash (should work as universal flash).
Erik_M

Ok thanks for the tip, i'll give it a go when i get home tonight.
One more thing, can i use any of those tools in a command box under windows or should i find a bootdisk and run it under dos?

Erik
Erik_M

Ok, here's my findings so far.
Aopen hasn't responded to my support request yet.
Uniflash/Amiflash and the Awardtools that i found all didn't support my board/chipset.
Winflash 1.51 did!
It flashed under windows, but unfortunately, my board didn't like cp's modded bios because of the different checksum, it will only accept the original value.
It halted on boot, fortunately loaded the board defaults, which allowed me to continue booting and restore the original bios.
I tried Powerstrip as well btw, but even though it allows forcing resolutions, it doesn't do that when the option isn't available according to the adapter.
So the story continues...
Maybe i should just go and buy a cheap video card that does support 1440x900, hell, with the hours is spent on my hourly rate i could have bought a completely new pc :lol: