Chaintech 5ttl won't detect 80gb HD

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

Blast, after a couple of years of not buiding systems all day and I forget Award Bios's hang when the drive is too large.

I downloaded the last 1998 bios from archive.org and my K6-2 2.0v 475mhz chip runs fine albeit at an unadjustable 2.2volt. A problem for another day I guess.

I will post the bios string later. All my proper size HDs for this system are DOA save the little sub 1gb drives that won't fit my retro software needs.

I still have a working 40gb drive an 80gb drive and a 120gb drive. Obviously none work with this board as it is now. I have tried the jumpers and the limiting jumper on the 80gb doesn't seem to have an effect.

If someone already patched this bios post a link and it would be appreciated, if not and there is a kind soul here could someone patch it for 80gb? That is the size I would most like to use, my 40gb is getting old and my 120gb has caused lockups on another system. This board is very similar to the 5ttm except that it has 83mhz and all dimms.

Someday I should figure out how to patch my own bios's. This time I will get back in a timely fashion toward success or no. I can hot flash if it dies

Thank You Very Much For Your Past Help
Ryan
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Bios patched and sent. Please report back your findings!
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

Sorry about the long delay, I did email back that the bios works OK despite a troublesome mobo.

The only issue is cosmetic, set everything to auto and don't try to detect stuff if the bios beforehand and everything works fine. Inside the bios the drive capacity is always zero but the parameters are correct.

Now if only there was a way of wiring an ATX supply & motherboard to always fire on when power is applied as this board does not want to turn on, it will turn off when you short the power pins for a few seconds but to turn on I have to tap the 5v speaker, reset and power pin at the same time briefly or it won't fire. Since my supply has an on/off switch hard wiring if possible would work great since I always turn off the wall power everytime anyway.

Can't figure it out but it is rock stable once it is up and running.

Thank You
Ryan May
KachiWachi
The New Guy

rmay635703 wrote:...to turn on I have to tap the 5v speaker...
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

Yep its a combination of at least 3 pins tapped quickly that make the beast come alive, there is voltage at the power on pins but god help me if I can fire it on with the power button or a screwdriver.

At first I didn't recognize the problem because I figured the silkscreening was wrong and apparently hit the right combination off the bat, it wasn't until later that I noticed something very strange was going on.

It is a combination of the reset, speaker and power button pins that fire it off. My only guess is that the Voltage from the speaker is grounding and that makes the PSU come on without the board waking, the reset button activated, makes the board come to not thinking it was turned off.

Strange issue, To be honest I really miss the AT power supply days it either worked or it didn't there wasn't this BS of broken power control section of the board while the rest works (this board isn't the first I've had with issues like this, more like 8th) Each board is different in how it fails, I have one that is stuck on always, I prefer that failure.

Cheers
Ryan