Help to get 1440x900 widescreen on Sis650 - MSI MS6535

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
rpp
New visitors - please read the rules.

I am a newbee in this area and found the forum very useful. I have purchased a 19" widescreen LCD/TFT monitor but came to know that my PC is not configured or able to support 1440x900 resolution.

Here is the link for motherboard/bios of the PC.
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func ... 3_no=#menu

Motherboard: MSI MS 6535 Rev 1
Chipset SiS 650
Bios: v1.2

I tried to flash the bios to v3.0 from original v1.1 but it didn't work so flashed it to 1.20 which is working fine. My PC is stable again. After looking at FAQ on Sis website (www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_4.htm ) I tried to install univga 3 driver. But it won't install as the vbios is not 2.28. Currently I have installed univga 2 but that doesn't give me 1440x900 widescreen. I would appreciate any help in this regard.
cp
BIOS Guru

patched bios sent.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
rpp

Thanks CP,

but I haven't yet received the patched bios that you sent. I checked my wimbios acount as well as email account that I had sent you in a pm. Please let me know if I need to send another email address for the same.
rpp

CP,

Thanks very much.

Received patched bios and I could flash it successfully, no problem. Now the vbios version is showing as 2.30.01 in Display --> Advanced --> Adaptor.

But when I am trying to install univga 3 driver to get 1440x900 support, the installation won't progress and gives me an error message as "The system can not detect the device, please confirm that the device is configured properly and then restart the setup program.". I checked few settings but couldn't find aything wrong with them. Can you please suggest anything.

Thanks for your help again.
cp
BIOS Guru

check this:

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9748.html

for the links to the drivers you need. make sure to install UniVGA3 version 3.73 and NOT 3.83.
rpp

Thanks CP.

Finally I got the resolution which I wanted .. 1440x900. Actually I had already installed UniVGA3 v3.73 few days back after reading the forum (http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9748.html ) but it took me some time to understand the concepts. This driver was there even before flashing the pathed bios.

So I uninstalled these drivers first, then rebooted PC and when the PC was booted even without installing UniVGA v3.73 I could get resolution 1440x900 from Display--> settings. But at this time my PC asked me to load the display driver which I cancelled and was displaying "Default Monitor" within the Display adaptor. Then I installed UniVGA 3.73 and my system is now displaying the correct chipset information with desired options for resolution.

It really makes a lot of diffrence with 1440x900 resolution compared to the "Stretched" resolution I was working with for last few days.

Thanks very much !!!
rpp

After flashing patched bios, my PC is stable again with 1440x900 resolution no prblem whatsoever but there is strage beeping noise that keep coming from the PC. These beeps are not loud and not contineous but sometimes it seems like someone is playing some game and that making this beeping noise.

Not a major issue but want to know if this a known problem and has any solution.
rpp

Can someone please help as my PC is now beeping like an ambulance, should I revert back to my previous bios or is there any way this beeping can be stopped.
cp
BIOS Guru

did you load the BIOS defaults after flashing? maybe it's beeping because the cpu runs a little hot? you can disable things like that in the bios.
rpp

Thanks CP,

Yes, I just change the system date and tie after flashing bios. Now I tried to change few setting but couldn't find ay obvious so set all to dafaults again. Can you please suggest any specific settings to change.

Meanwhile I also tried to disable "Beep" from Device Manage within "Non Plug and play device" and restarted PC. With these two changes at least my PC is not contineously beeping but still just beeps once in around 15-20 minutes.
ericdrt

Hello Guys

I've recently bought a Sansung Wide Display Monitor but I can't get 1440x900 resolution. My motherboard is K7SOM+ 7.5a and my video card is indicated as Sis650.

I patched the latest bios from the vendor's page but I couldn't get this feature on my machine.

Could you please help me get that ?

Thank you very very much !

Eric
cp
BIOS Guru

completely wrong thread!
your mainboard isn't the mainboard that is mentioned in the thread. this is the correct thread:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9738.html

you can get the patched bios directly at the download page (look for step 3):
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9748.html

btw. the SIS650 is a northbridge. your northbridge is a SIS740 which is not a SIS650. but to keep things complicated: they have the same 2D/3D VGA core (a SIS315-derived core also called Real256 in marketing-terms).