custom bios fail

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
olsmokie
New visitors - please read the rules.

I was given an ASUS M2A-VM motherboard with an AMD Phenom processor for free. This board is virtually brand new, still in the box with disk and manual. The person that bought it must have tried to customize the bios because when you try to boot it up you get a Toronto Maple Leafs picture and that's as far as it goes. I have tried to boot it with the CD in,(the crash free utility is supposed to start by itself), I've tried it with a floppy, both internal and USB and a USB jump drive. The CD will flash a couple of times but it will not run the flash program. It just goes straight to the Maple Leaf picture and that's it. Too bad because it is a nice board.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What CPU are you using? Is that supported?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2AVM/#CPUS
What memory are you using, is that on the Qualified Vendor list?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2AVM/#MSL

And this a known contender in the bad capacitor circus, the 820uF capacitors (KZG units) are from a bad series.

http://www.badcaps.net for info on how to check/change/repair
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
olsmokie

Thank you for the quick response Edwin. The processor is an AMD Phenom 9750 that is supported and the ram is as well. I believe this whole system worked fine until the owner tried to replace the Asus splash screen on post to the Maple Leafs picture I see now. On start up it just goes to that picture and stops there. The CD will run and the lights will flash for a couple of seconds and that's it. The floppy will not do anything and I tried internal and USB.
I thought about ordering a new Bios chip, but if this board is known to be problematic, I may just junk it. Too bad though because it was only used for about a week before he tried to customize it.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Did you check the condition of the capacitors and what markings they have? The biggest problem with the KZG series is heat, they really need to stay cool and then they will be reasonably stable for quite a long time.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

olsmokie

They are the KZG caps. They all look fine, as I said the board worked fine until the custom BIOS attempt. I think I am just going to see if I can locate another board and scrap this one. I do thank you for your help though.
It's a great thing when someone such as yourself will give his time to respond to these posts and help out people who have a problem.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

You're most welcome. As for the reason: you reap what you sow. i have been in your position in the past and found helpful people on my way. I am merely paying it forward...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything