Award Bios not adjustable

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
Tim
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello ; I am trying to repair an old P C 486. It has an Award Bios set up and I can't seem to adjust it. It will go into set up and page up / page down, but I can not change anything. It will let me do nothing to it, or I can't figure out how. I have worked with Bios a little and have learned some. This P C will not let me address the changes. It just does not offer the changes. I can go to each section but no options exist. This is an Award # 2C4I8G01 It has prior to those numbers : 4-27- 94 -515-85C471. Is this chip defective ? I have plenty of AMI BIOS chips, and when I insert one of them , the machine will not boot. Thanks for any help. Tim
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-Fu Master

Manual:

http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pdf/486vs8a.pdf

Gigabyte GA-486VS

Can't seem to find any evidence of a read jumper preventing writting to the BIOS or something...

Are the settings just not changing? Or do they go back to what they were after you reboot?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier
Tim
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for your reply. It just will not let me change anything. I see what I want to do, but when I tab to the spot and try to make a change it moves on down to the next line. For example this old P C had a 5 in. floppy too, and I want to drop that from the summary and remove the hardware. It finally recognized my hard drive today, but I still cannot change anything. I can choose the Bios defaults and say "yes" and so forth, but I cannot initiate a change. I might be the "dummy" here as I am only learning, but I have fixed 5 last week and worked with the Bios set ups and did O K. Thanks for your help. Tim

ps : boy, I could use some help from time to time, if you want this email... I have some other areas of expertise, I might be able to return the favor, especially if you like P C grahics and art and have any desire to learn... :-)

timmoore36@hotmail.com
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-Fu Master

Try clearing the CMOS using the jumper. By default it should auto-detect the hard drives and only have a 1.44 installed.
Maybe that will help with the problem aswell. It either sounds like the Bios is write protected (in some way) or your simply using the wrong keys.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier