Tyan Thunder 2500 (S1867)

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Bitkocher
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

Does someone know how to run Tyan Thunder 2500 (S1867) with Tualatin 1400 MHz Server CPUs? There is a Slot 1 -> Socket 370 adaptor by Powerleap, which solve hardware problems. That f*****g Phoenix BIOS v 1.04 (Tyan version) does, if cpuid is not recognized, stop post and hangs up.

regards
Bitkocher
bbuchholtz

Apologies for the necrobump :lol:

But, I wanted to share this information, in case anyone else was interested in this project.

Based on my testing, this doesn't look to be a BIOS-related issue. At least, not one that I've found just yet. I have found that this board is profoundly picky about what slockets are used. And since this board prefers the older slockets, you'll have to do some modifications. In particular, you'll have to reroute the BR1 signal... even if you want to use Coppermine CPUs.

I had luck, following this guide:
http://patswayne.com/megamod

Please note, there is one recommended deviation. The author recommended having the 370SPC in slot #1 and the Super Slocket III in slot #2. This does work. System POSTs and boots to DOS (haven't tried Windows yet). However, I could not get greater than 4GB to work with this configuration.

For grins, I tried swapping slockets. To my amazement, the board was able to detect all 8GB... with dual Tualatins :D

I still have more playing to do and will update you on my progress. But so far, things look promising.

System:
20200321_205958.jpg

BIOS:
20200321_202925.jpg

-Brian
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

No problem with necrobumping, especially if you can solve some long-lasting frustration for another user. Keep us posted about your progress.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
donkom

Okay Brian,

You sign up to make a single post, and it's the reason I created an account on this website - to respond. Seriously, those are Socket 8 slotkets in a Thunder 2500? Did you have to get a Pentium Pro to work besides what you described? This is such a fun setup that I'd like to build for myself, and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

- Don Komarechka
bbuchholtz

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. I finally got around to finishing this project.

I got Tualatins working with my Thunder 2500. For kicks, I installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server, with PAE enabled. The system fully recognizes 8GB of memory. I believe this is the first Tualatin-based system with 8GB of memory.
20210619_071016.jpg
-Brian