Dedicated IRQ issue

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
boweng
New visitors - please read the rules.

Right I have a simple (I Hope) problem for one of you Bios Gurus :D

I Have a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP 1.1 motehrboard running AMIBIOS flashed to version f10.

I have a Pinnacle DV200 Fire wire Dv editing card which needs to be assigned a dedicated IRQ if it is ever going to function correctly. This is the only off-board card in the system.

I have been pulling my hair out, swearing and smoking a hell of a lot of cigs trying to do this and I conclude that it is not possible. Please prove me wrong somebody (-:

Basically it makes no difference what slot the card goes in or if I set an IRQ priority for the slot. The onboard Raid (which i am using) and NIC and USB jumps to the same IRQ. I have even tried disabling serial ports to free up irq4. Same thing happens every onboard device then jumps to IRQ 4!!! :evil: I've also disabled every onboard device except the raid controler and this still insists on sharing teh same irq??

Any ideas anyone??
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Did you enable ACPI in BIOS and is it activated in Windows? Which Windows version are you using? If you're using Win2K or XP, then disabling ACPI will be a must for you. It's somewhat easier in Windows 9x and ME (without disabling ACPI).
boweng

Did you mean APIC instead of ACPI?

I had enabled this in teh Bios and this iswhat Win2k is using.

I tried disabling this by setting the option to PIC in the Bios but the system post check still shows the card as sharing an irq... :?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I did mean ACPI. With ACPI enabled, you'll have virtually no control over the IRQ's. Don't worry about the initial Device IRQs display screen (at POST). What does matter is what Windows 2000 does with them.
boweng

Many thanks :D
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Just tell us what you end up doing (reinstalling, regediting, etc.) and if it did solve your problem.