32GB+: PC-Chips M577

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
adamgyurcsek
New visitors - please read the rules.

The fdisk included in debian Linux identifies it correctly. There are some problem with the partition table, because the head count increased from 16 to 127 (reported physical geometry: 59131/16/255, logical: 29917/128/63) so I'll have to repartition the HDD. I'll check the DOS FDISK after that, but if the linux loader will boot this way, then it's perfect as is.
adamgyurcsek

I checked the reported disk geometry with all 3 methods (normal - 16Heads, 63 Sectors, large -128heads, 63 sectors, LBA -CHS values seem meaningless) With the normal method the BIOS printed the correct geometry (123GB in the POST table, 123 in the BIOS settings). That worked fine in linux, but WinXP couldn't boot from the first partition this way. It was similar with the 'large' setting. Windows seems to work only with LBA mode, but the BIOS misreports the HDD size this way. Everything else seems fine. I didn't test wether it is possible to boot from over 64GB, but I could squeeze all my boot partition under that limit :-)
I just learned not to partition the HDD before setting it up corretly in the BIOS...
I will try to boot an image over 64GB on the weekend.
attis

Hello everyone!

I'm wonder, to find a bios to m577 :D . Tried to download at
http://www.wimsbios.com/~rainbow/BIOS%2032GB/m577.zip
and http://wims.rainbow-software.org/. But both are down. The second one has some problems in index.php accessing db.host.sk. NickS, Could you sent this BIOS in e-mail, thanks! :o
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

The database server was down - it works now.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
attis

Thanks for your help! I downloaded the BIOS!
gazza82

Having upgraded my BIOS to the latest version, my PC still maintains my master 40Gb disc is 32Gb during the boot phase. Even before the upgrade FDISK, etc., recognised the disk correctly, but scandisk would fail on the final slice/partition.

Mobo: PCChips M577
BIOS: 4.51PG
BIOS Version: 990306R (from rainbow)
Flasher: Uniflash
DisK: Maxtor 6E040L0 DiamondMax Plus 8

I've set my BIOS to autodetect HDD. If I try to add the disk metrics (#sectors, heads, etc) manually, the BIOS miscalculates the disc size down to single figures. (I'm not in front of the system now, but I seem to remember it thinks it's only around 8GB!)

When the system boots I see the master HDD described as LBA, Mode 4, and the 32Gb sizing.

Anyone suggest what is going on here and hopefully a solution?

thanks
Gazza
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

1. Be sure you have removed the 32GB limit jumper from the disk drive.
2. Do you get the updated BIOS message "M577 BIOS 03/06/1999 with K6-2+/III+ & HDD up to 128GB" ?

You will also need to downgrade the HDD maximum UDMA speed to UDMA Mode 2 - see the post on UDMA mode setting utilities in "collected wisdom".
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
gazza82

I'm pretty sure I removed the jumper when I installed the drive, but I will recheck.

:?:
Why the need to downgrade the UDMA speed? Sorry I'm not an expert in these things, so I'd like to know why this is necessary. I've got the Maxtor utilities already.

8O
I also tried a different BIOS version last night (990309J2) that was on the PCHips Lottery site. This didn't solve the problem, but when I re-flashed with 990306R, my system now thinks I've got an Amptron PM9900 mobo. Now these are the same as my M577, but I'd like to know how I can get it back to the right BIOS message.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

The latest M577 Bios still had a known Award Bug enabling higher UDMA modes than the motherboard supports .
Therefore you need to spped down the HDD UDMA interface back to UDMA Mode 2 AKA UDMA33

The wimsbios patched M577 Bios doe show M577 in it's string

Do you have anything installed from the Maxtor Utility disk such as Drive Overlay Software ?
-> This may cause confusion with your Bios
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

gazza82 wrote:I also tried a different BIOS version last night (990309J2) that was on the PCHips Lottery site. This didn't solve the problem, but when I re-flashed with 990306R, my system now thinks I've got an Amptron PM9900 mobo. Now these are the same as my M577, but I'd like to know how I can get it back to the right BIOS message.
If you haven't fixed it because you can't flash the M577 BIOS to a board with an Amptron BIOS, Uniflash should do the job.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"