80-60GB: 08/11/1998-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KW0DC-04

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
alua
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all! :D I wanted to know, if it's possible, before purchasing next days a new hard drive of capacity 60-80G if this mobo supports those drive types. These are my specifications: 8O

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 08/11/1998-i440BX-W977TF-2A69KW0DC-04
ROM: 256K
OEM Sign: W6BXA INTEL 440BX
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2
I/O Chip: Winbond 83977TF found at port 3F0h

I have already downloaded the .BIN file for 256 and i know (i think) how to upgrade that bios with AWDflash but I don't want to probe it until i have the unit installed... but i have some questions:

1. is this file the correct one for upgrading this BIOS????

2. i have read that on old BIOS like that one it's necessary to flash it with an older version of AWDflash... 5.0, I think.... my question is: is this true?? flashing the bios with my actual version (814c) will kill my mobo or something else???

Thx beforehand for your time.

Greetings for all.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you download the patched 256K BIOS from http://wims.rainbow-software.org/?
The later AWDflash should work. There is a version of AWDflash which has problems, around 7.x. You could also use Uniflash, download free from here.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
alua

Hi all.

Yes, i had downloaded the patched 256k bios from that site.
I have awdflash version 8.14, i think it's the latest or near so.

Will unicore match my bios data?? In the .Doc archive i didn't find my bios chip, but my bios chipset (440BX/ZX rev 2) appears to be supported.

Thx for your time.

Greetings TO all.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

If this will make you feel more confident, use the Gigabyte "universal" flasher available at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw (support section).
It works for both AMI and AWARD, although it's basically an AMI flasher that won't care about your BIOS type.

I've used it several times and it hasn't ever let me down.
alua

Hi again...

I will test that program soon now. I think that i have all the utilities needed to flash my bios... we'll see how it runs after that.. THX to all for your help.

AJZCHIPS: me temo que ya nos conocimos ayer...... el estudiante de informatica q no sabia nada.. jajajjjajajaj ..., Gracias y hasta otra.

[RESPUESTA DE AJZCHIPS: Efectiviwonder...!!!]