APM/ACPI BIOS questions
#37661 by stim141
Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:46 am
Running Windows XP SP2 - all updates. Just purchased this machine, used - an IBM Intellistation M Pro 6850 - currently with a single 2.0 Xeon and 512MB. Going to update the processors and I have extra RDRam. Based on 860 chipset/RDRam. Updated to latest BIOS - believe its 1.43 from IBM's site - chip is labeld Phoenix and I don't know the motherboard manufacturer - its not labeled. Cleared the CMOS and the flash update went fine. Bios settings are a little different than my Asus P4C800-E. The IBM offers two bios settings related to ACPI and I don't know what they are for: One is labeled PWR and Grant. Anyway - turned off all the onboard SCSI controllers, LAN, etc. to get it to the minimum for Windows to boot and run. Still no go, tried both settings on the BIOS ACPI settings and still no change. Know this is supposed to be a server but I'm not sure if its a Windows problem or some sort of conflict in the BIOS - possibly with either the CPU or memory - don't know. When I checked the Hardware specs in Windows it showed that the system under ACPI has the ability to do S1 - S3. Since the chipset is only a couple years old - bios is dated mid 2004 ACPI should work. Swapped video cards from ATI to NVidia - same result. The hard disk does shut down as does the monitor. Looking for some insight - either experience with 860 based chipset or the Intellistation or at least some steps to try. Any detailed information I'll provide - just ask. The IBM Bios isn't all that friendly when it comes to options and they are limited. Thanks in advance ANY help would be appreciate.