ASUS A8AE-LE (OEM) "AmberineM" Phoenix - Award bios request - CPU upgrade

Don't ask how to over-clock.
bluedreams
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm attempting to upgrade the processor on a Compaq Presario SR1834NX. It contains a 939 socket motherboard, the Asus A8AE-LE also knows as AmberineM. Its an HP OEM board. I did some research and it should support my upgrade to an Athlon 64 X2 4400+. Unfortunately when I install it and start the PC the fans spin at full speed and it never posts. My hope is that updating the bios may help this problem.

It currently has a Phoenix-Award 3.14 bios (1/7/2006) Core version 6.0. I was able to download a .exe file for the 3.15 bios from this site (thank you!!!!) but I was confused about how to use that format to flash. I was told by somebody that I need to install XP and run the executable. Unfortunately I'm having trouble installing XP, possibly due to sata drivers. Either that or its run Linux so long it doesn't remember how to run Windows anymore!

I'm hoping that somebody has a version in a more traditional DOS format, or if its maybe possible to run the .exe in Vista or Windows 7. I would also be open to modded bios as the OEM feature set is severly lacking.

Thank you very much for your time.