120GB: 4W4SB0X0.15A.0013.P08.9904221542

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
vincentfreeman
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Gateway PIII 500Mhz and a 12GB drive that I want to upgrade to 120GB. Is this possible with a bios upgrade? If so does anyone know which one and where would I obtain this?

Generated by: BIOS Wizard 2.10
BIOS Manufacturer : PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 licensed to Intel
BIOS ID : 4W4SB0X0.15A.0013.P08.9904221542
BIOS Date : 04/22/99
BIOS OEM Signon :
BIOS ROM Size : 512K
Chipset : Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Super I/O Chip : SMC 70x or 80x found at port 370h

To go up to 160+ GB I think I would need a PCI controller card. Is this correct?

Many thanks,

Vincent.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I cannot tell which model board you have without further investigation but looking at the information you provided, I am guessing an Intel board.

If this is an Intel board their BIOS for both the LX and BX chipset, as indicated in emails to me from Intel, will support up to 128GB HDD.

But I agree that to go past 128GB, an add-on controller or a newer machine is required.
vincentfreeman

My motherboard info from Sisoft Sandra is as follows:

Mainboard
Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
MP Support : No
Model : WS440BX
Version : AA744110-203

So with my current bios version I should be able to use a 120GB drive, without needing to upgrade?

Vincent.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sorry what I said was misleading.

I did not mean the current BIOS. I meant the latest Intel BIOS should support 128GB, so if you do not have the latest BIOS for your board, the current BIOS may or may not recognoise up to 128GB.

So to answer your question, No. If you do not have the latest BIOS, you may need to upgrade. However, there is probably no harm in seeing if your drive detects as the currect size if you are hoping to avoid upgrading.

Also, the information given to me was concerning the AL440LX board and SE440BX boards. I am only assuming that other Intel boards based on the LX and BX chipsets will also support up to 128GB.

However, are you sure the WS440BX is an Intel board? I am unable to locate this model on Intel's website.
georgep
BIOS Rookie

I believe it's an OEM only board for Gateway.

I also believe what Ritchie said is true. It will probably be able to see 128 GB with the BIOS you have, but if not, the latest BIOS from Gateway will certainly allow it to recognize the 120 GB drive.

Somewhere on your system, there should be a serial number that if you plug it into the search feature at the support section of Gateway's website will list all the downloads associated with that product, including the latest BIOS.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Although OEM, all Phoenix-bios boards from Intel support up to 128GB
http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... 009028.htm
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi George. You misinterpretted me.

I actually believe it is quite possible that the 120GB may NOT be fully recognised UNLESS the latest BIOS is installed. However, as I indicated, he could attach the drive and see what it detects as.

If the board is not an Intel board, I also believe there is a lesser chance that the latest BIOS available will detect up to 128GB, even taking into account what Edwin has said. But I may well be wrong on this point of-course.
vincentfreeman

I've found and downloaded a bios upgrade from the Gateway site that will update me to 4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P14.

Following the instructions I have run the 7508736.exe to unzip the files and copied them to a floppy disk. But when I boot using this disk I get an error message "Non system disk or disk error", instead of the Intel Flash Memory Update Utility screen.

I've followed the provided instructions exactly. Perhaps it's necessary to format the disk in some special way?

Thanks,

Vincent.
vincentfreeman

Ignore my previous post, I just had to format the disk a system disk.

Ok. I now have my motherboard updated to the latest bios (4W4SB0X0.15A.0006.P14) and I have a Seagate 120GB PATA drive installed. When I go to bios setup the drive is listed but the capacity given is only 65535 MB.

Have I reached the end of the line and now require a PCI card to use the full capacity? I hope not :(

Thanks,

Vincent.
JeffA

Hi Vincent,
I am in the same boat.
The motherboard WS440BX on my gateway (PIII 550 mhz) has the updated bios 4w4sb0x0.15a.0019.p14. I can only see 33G. I havent had any replies to my post yet. Hopefully there's a bios out there that will work. Otherwise I will install a hd controller (see zipzoomfly). That opens other questions, I have pci 2.1. Does that mean I can use a ata/133, will it be faster than an ata/100. Will my system see a difference? Good Luck.

Jeff
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

only 33GB with updated bios: remove the capacity limit jumper from the harddisk...

you won't see any difference, the onboard controller is not ATA133...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Hi Vincent - Sounds like you have the latest BIOS for this board and that you therefore have reached a dead end - looks like that BIOS has the 64GB bug (limiting hard drive detection to up to 64GB).

If you were stuck at the 32GB point I would advise to check for a capacity limitation jumper (as Edwin has advised Jeff) but I am not aware of capacity jumpers limiting to 64GB.

Looks like >64GB recognition requires a PCI card as you suggest.

Personally I would stick within the 64GB limit for this system and use a newer/different board for a system that will allow a larger drive.