Modifying firmware of a stand-alone DVD player

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
lomax
BIOS Newbie

Hi,

I'm curious if someone knows how to modify the firmware of a stand-alone DVD player. I recently gave one to a friend, but since he's using his old VCR to connect it to a TV without scart, he can't watch his original DVD's (because of the Macrovision protection).

I know there are websites with 'secret' codes you can enter to disable macrovision and/or region code, but I couldn't find them for this brand.
For the curious, it's an Amuseer (http://www.amuseer.com).

Does anyone know how you can find those secret keystrokes? Disassembling the firmware? I doubt it's trial & error :)

Thanks for any hints!
lomax
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I really doubt this is the objective of this forum...
lomax
BIOS Newbie

Well, I really see the word firmware in the title of this section (Video (VGA) and other BIOS/Firmware) so I don't see why not.

Or are you implying it has something to do with legalities? Weird. I'm trying to get my friend's player to work with his original (c) DVDs and because of that Macrovision stuff that's not possible.
I know it's too weird, but I thought that if you own original DVD's, that you're allowed to watch them on your own player.

I thought I could find some help here, guess not. Too bad, really.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Disabling macrovision isn't very "legal", and we at this forum wouldn't like to start getting involved in that kind of stuff. There are myriad forums out there specifically oriented towards macrovision issues.
This forum is 100% computer-oriented, so a standalone DVD-player isn't really supported here.
soupy
Absentee administrator

Flash your BIOS at your own risk.