BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
#9780 by Miki
Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:19 am
Recommended by Wim's BIOS... BIOS Agent scan: Upgrade your BIOS! DriverMax is the number one driver updater for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP
#9780 by Miki
Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:19 am
I have an MS6178 motherboard with an Award bios. It was working ok, but then it wouldn't boot even though the hdd was detected in the bios. Tried booting from a floppy and it would abort installation as it said "no fixed disks present." I thought the hdd must be had it so I put in an old one that works (I tested it on this computer). But still had the same problem. Then it started doing something really weird, at the POST when it detects the IDE drives, it starts calling the hdd weird names like "e e e e e e" and the cdrom "aaaaaaaaaaaa"(even in the bios). I swapped the cables with known working ones, swapped them from one IDE to another, tried them as master/slave etc all to no avail. So I flash the bios with an upgrade from Micro Star that was successful but the problem is still there. In the screen where it tries to bootup from the hdd it shows up on the primary master as ATAPI PIO 0 but has come up with ATA and other different names instead of the Quantum Pro it is. I have been racking my brains trying to figure this one out. Is it a bios problem or is the motherboard slowly dying? Any help would be very much appreciated.