40GB: Biostar 8500tvx

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Neil
New visitors - please read the rules.

:( Hello everybody,

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 3.23
Program: eSupport.com BIOS Detect v1.2 July 21, 2003
BIOS Date: 07/15/95
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 51-0618-001223-00111111-071595-82430VX-AMIBIOS
OEM Sign-On: TVX0619B
Chipset: Intel Triton 430VX rev 2
Superio: UMC/ITE 8669 rev 0 found at port 108h

Is there any bios patch for Biostar 5800tvx(UMC I/O) to recognize 40G up capacity HD. The bin file at their site is quite old. http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/main ... x0619b.rom & http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/main ... x1016b.rom and I have a problem after I flash either of them. Thanks in advance.

Neil
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you clear CMOS after flashing ? If so, what sort of problem do you have with the newer BIOSes ?
There is no patch for AMI BIOSes.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hmm, there seems to be a problem with both those BIOSes - they are each one byte short of 128KB .... same problem at ZD-Net .... I have one but I don't know whether it is for UMC I/O. I will look.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

There's an 0619B here.
Neil

Thank nicks,
I think i already tried that bios (http://sos-hardware.windowstothemax.com ... VXbios.htm). That is already the data that appears on bios agent. Btw, my system does not boot after i flashed the new one(or two) from biostar site so I use the bios from that url instead. Anymore please...

Neil
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

What are the symptoms of the problem ? Does it hang at drive detection, or see only a part of the drive ?
BTW, ignore the "BIOS date 07/15/95", that's just the BIOS core date and the actual BIOS is later, probably 1997.
Neil

Thankx again nicks,
This board does not need a flash utility. It only needs a bios bin file, to be renamed as AMIBOOT.ROM in the floopy disk(not bootable will do). Those two bin file from biostar site causes my system not to boot(blank screen) and it seems the floopy keeps on reading as the led on(a sign of bad flash searching for bin file; a correct one perhaps). I think those files are compressed or something but winzip or winrar does not recognize them. One thing I notice is, those files are only 127kb not 128kb. Then I tried the one from sos url or something? my system works fine after I flashed it. If nothing could remedy it, probably I'll trash this but any help is very much appreciated.

Neil
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

NickS wrote:What are the symptoms of the problem ? Does it hang at drive detection, or see only a part of the drive ?
BTW, ignore the "BIOS date 07/15/95", that's just the BIOS core date and the actual BIOS is later, probably 1997.