80GB: 09/13/2000-i440BX-NS351-UA69KS00C-00

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
raymix
New visitors - please read the rules.

You've seen this prob a thousand times and I got it too.

Ive just bought a brand new
80gigs Seagate Barracuda 7200 HD (model ST380011A)

My BIOS can't detect (hangs at startup). Tried to detect it manually into BIOS (it freeze) - AUTO mode and LBA doesn't work.
Ive tried a "useless" program discwizard2003_en.exe (as recomanded by Seagate ,according to what I read on the HD label) that was using a 2 floopy disks installation and boot from it, it was looking for the HD and did some unknown stuff and asked me to reboot. Didn't saw any difference except that now i'm trying to remove the AUTO mode in the BIOS, it freeze. (I'm thinking that this program messed with my BIOS).
I can do a 32gigs limitation with a jumper behind the HD (but makes no sense to buy a 80gigs to only get 32gigs).

What's funny about that problem is that I already have a 40gigs Maxtor HD and it detects fine (also have an old 3.2gigs WD).
My guess is that my BIOS prolly has the 64gigs detection bug cuz my 40gigs works fine.

My BIOS details (using Unicore Bios Agent):

Program: Unicore BIOS Wizard Version 2.01
Program: eSupport.com Chip Detect v0.80 2003.02.20
BIOS Date: 09/13/00
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 09/13/2000-i440BX-NS351-UA69KS00C-00
BIOS Eval: Seanix Columbia III BIOS rev.1.2
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: NSC 351 rev 2 found at port 2Eh

This BIOS ver is an updated one I did today (obviously didn't resolved the prob) , the old ver was 03/06/2000 - That update came directly from Seanix website for my computer model. Oh, and after the flash was done, the computer suddenly turned off ( normal ? )
Computer seems to be working fine anyways and there's no errors reported into Windows Control Panel/System.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any updates from Seanix that could solve my problem so I'm asking for major help guys, if someone knows/can do something. I really don't want to use that HD as a paperweight ;)

Thank you very much in advance.

raymix
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Maybe we could patch your BIOS, if it was available. As you didn't provide a URL to the BIOS, I tried Seanix Personal Support which requests a serial number so I think that's where I stop for now.
raymix

http://www.seanix.com/downloads/Drivers/cb3_bios.zip

That's what I used for the flash.

Sorry

raymix`
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

patched bios sent. let us know how it goes.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
raymix

Well, what can I say ? I'm totally speechless :)

It may looks like usual business for you guys to patch BIOSes like this but to me it looks like a dream come true - Yes, the patch really works, the darn thing was detected just fine. It says 80gb instead of 80000mb but the BIOS booted smooth.

Also I've noticed that it doesn't show the usual MODE 4 for each HDs I got but I see now UDMA 33 instead.

A big thanks to you edwin, you have saved another HDs from being a paperweight :)

Btw, it'S cool to see that I can upgarde HDs up to 128gb :)

Many thanx !

raymix`
raymix

After a few days running the new patched BIOS, I can say that nothing went wrong, everything's perfectly fine.

If you want to post/add this patch into your database, to help anyone else who may need it, I think it's safe now.

Friendly,

raymix`
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...