BIOS and HDD problem, pls help

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
chechako
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello everybody,

Please help!

I built the system with two SATA HDD (both Samsung 160 GB; CPU Intel 3,2; MB ASUS P5AD2).

While powering up the system for the first time, BIOS detected only one HDD.
I was not sure whether it was OK but installed Win MCE. After install Win showed only one HDD.

Trying to correct it I changed the cables and set DVDR Type as “CDROM” and finally I’ve got the following configuration:
- Primary IDE Master: Plextor DVDR (Type – CDROM)
- Third IDE Master: Samsung HDD (Type - Auto)
- Third IDE slave: Samsung HDD (Type - Auto)

Will this work? If positive, should I reformat the HDDs and reinstall for it to see both HDDs?

If negative what should be done?

Thank you!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Are you sure of this configuration?

How did you get one of the HDDs as a slave. You say both HDDs are SATA, and there is no Master/Slave on SATA. What I would be aiming for is the following:

Primary S-ATA: HDD that you want as first HDD.
Secondary S-ATA: HDD that you want as second HDD.
Primary P-ATA Master: The CD-ROM drive (I assume CD-ROM is P-ATA.

You should not have needed to change any jumper settings on the HDDs to achieve this configuration. The CD-ROM drive was probably already factory set to Master also.

EDIT: Actually I just noticed your configuration may be OK - provided there is a setting in the BIOS that allows the S-ATA ports to be recognised first. If the BIOS is currently set to recognise your P-ATA ports first then this could explain how you got the configuration you described.
chechako

Thank you!

I was just switching the SATA HDD cables to various connectors. That's how I got the configuration.

When I switched both cables to only "red" I got Third Master and Fourth Master.

I tried to force out the DVDR from Prime Master by making "Type" as "Uninstalled" for Prime Master and making "CDROM" Type for the Fourth Master but BIOS showed "incompatible".

So, if the Prime Master has to be CDROM, I have no other options but to get HDD as Third Master.

It looks like I would be better to have the second one as a slave rather than as the Fourth Master.

Sorry, I do not know much abouth the stuff and probably my suggestions are naive.

Thank you!
chechako

But most funny is that after posting the previous query I turned the PC on )the first time after I have initialized the second HDD) I've got "No HDD detected".

DVDR was set back to Type-Auto instead of CDROM.

It lloks like it all happened because I ran the Initialization Wizard for the second HDD. I do not see any other reason.

Right I am completeley lost and do not know what to do.

Your advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I am not sure on what to advise further at this point.

Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I would only consider loading BIOS defaults.
chechako

Thank you!t looks like I fixed it by connecting both HDD to Port 1 and 2 and got two Masters.
chechako

Well it was my understanding that it has been fixed but.....

I just turned PC after a break and BIOS again does not detect the second HDD - the one that was Fourth Master. I never changed any settings after I got configuration:
- Primary Master DVDR Type-CDROM
- Third Master HDD Type Auto
- Fourth Master HDD Type Auto

In Disk Management, I see CDROM instead of the second HDD.

Why is this happening? Thank you.