Kingston hyperx predator pcie ssd booting problem

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Post Reply
wielk
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:13 pm

I bought the Kingston hyperx predator pcie ssd a few days ago, and put it on my Asus P6T motherboard in a PCIex16 slot. My system (Windows 7 64 bit is on this ssd. But now every time I boot I get the message: " CD-ROM Boot Priority .. No Medium, Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".
Although the SSD is the first priority in the BIOS, which is in AHCI-mode. When I hit a key a few, sometimes several times, it boots OK from the SSD. When I put a bootable CD in my CD-drive, without hitting a key it also boots OK from the SSD. I updated the BIOS to the latest version, but no avail.
This is very annoying, do you have any solution for this?
Kingston nor Asus were able to help me.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist
Posts: 6221
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:07 pm

What is the make and model of your power supply and how does your system react if you physically disconnect the CD/DVD-player?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
wielk
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:17 am

What is the make and model of your power supply and how does your system react if you physically disconnect the CD/DVD-player?
It's a Antec TruePower Quattro ATX2 850. I never did physically disconnect my CD player.
I think it is a BIOS problem, that's why I posted in this section.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist
Posts: 6221
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:45 pm

It tries to boot from the CD but fails. So I am trying to get that one out of the mix. I want to see if the board fails to boot from the SSD or indeed the CD is dysfunctional.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
wielk
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:23 pm

edwin wrote:It tries to boot from the CD but fails. So I am trying to get that one out of the mix. I want to see if the board fails to boot from the SSD or indeed the CD is dysfunctional.
I think the problem is that the bios doesn't remember that it should boot from the SSD, but when it boots, by putting a bootable CD in the drive and not hitting a key, it boots from the SSD alright. Isn't there a patch possible to force the bios to boot from the ssd?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist
Posts: 6221
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:38 pm

If the boot order is set then the board should follow it, if not, there's a piece of hardware not cooperating or there's a bug or... the CMOS battery may be low. Replace the CR2032 3V lithium coin cell battery. After you have done that the bios has been set to default settings, so restore the settings you customized before (I trust you noted them down somewhere).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
wielk
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:23 pm

edwin wrote:If the boot order is set then the board should follow it, if not, there's a piece of hardware not cooperating or there's a bug or... the CMOS battery may be low. Replace the CR2032 3V lithium coin cell battery. After you have done that the bios has been set to default settings, so restore the settings you customized before (I trust you noted them down somewhere).
Thanks, I will try that.
wielk
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:47 pm

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:42 pm

wielk wrote:
edwin wrote:If the boot order is set then the board should follow it, if not, there's a piece of hardware not cooperating or there's a bug or... the CMOS battery may be low. Replace the CR2032 3V lithium coin cell battery. After you have done that the bios has been set to default settings, so restore the settings you customized before (I trust you noted them down somewhere).
Thanks, I will try that.
I did change the battery, a lot of work because I had to remove the videocard, but it did't help. As a workaround I now leave a bootable dvd in my drive.
AnthonyCopeland
New visitors - please read the rules.
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 am

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:41 am

Kingston HyperX Predator will utilize Marvell’s new “Altaplus”88SS9293 controller paired with Toshiba A19nm Toggle Mode NAND.
Post Reply