I'm a proud owner of a Sony TZ270N. It came with a 120gb Toshiba MK1214GAH hard drive, and I want to upgrade to the 240gb Toshiba MK2431GAH drive.
Both are PATA ZIF 1.8" drives. The new one physically went in fine, but my problem is now that I can't install an OS onto the drive because of an 0200 Failure Fixed Disk.
Here what I know so far:
- on bootup, the drive is reported as "Toshiba MK2431GAH"
- in BIOS, the drive is recognized as Hard Drive 0
- however, later on bootup I get an "ERROR 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0"
- Win XP, Win 2000 install disks can't see the drive at all
- Win 7 RC installer can see the disk, format, and partition it, but then says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
- DOS boot disks cannot see the drive
- But some Linux boot disks can:
- Seatools can see the drive and says it has no problems on SMART
- testdisk can see the drive and says structure ok, have written new MBR to it, but still no luck.
- the Knoppix boot disk halts
So in summary I'm very confused. Can anyone explain what might be going on and a solution? Odd that BIOS can see it yet is reporting a drive failure, when the drive is brand new out of the sealed pack, and when disk utilities say he drive is physically fine.all on it. Anybody have any ideas? Still a BIOS issue? I'm using Sony latest TZ BIOS, version R0081N7.
Thank you very much in advance. I know others have installed a variety of drives and brands (mostly SSDs) on the TZ without issues, so I think theoretically the new drive should work!